Zim musicians and composers takes ZBC to court
2012 June 11 18:52:19 | 1931 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2650 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2681 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6568 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7345 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 5924 views
- Woman bashes friend for demanding debt | 2013 May 19 07:59:53
- Man (27) accused of killing 10-year-old Rugare girl appears in court | 2013 May 18 13:02:00
- Tsvangirai's court bid hits brick wall | 2013 May 18 06:55:58
- Mugabe, Tsvangirai off the hook for now | 2013 May 08 07:37:44
- Businessman in court for threatening to kill ex-lover | 2013 May 04 09:09:33
- DJ Black Coffee asks YFM to stop playing his music | 2013 April 20 21:15:43 | 28281 views
- 'Prophet Makandiwa's prophecy is a lie,' say Zhakata | 2013 January 22 10:38:00 | 14929 views
- Rihanna dresses in a see-through outfit showing her boobs - Photos | 2013 January 25 20:01:49 | 13906 views
- David Masondo and Deborah Fraser considering tying the knot | 2013 January 28 21:56:37 | 11384 views
- Oskido's Tsa Mandebele SA's hottest 2012 song | 2013 January 01 00:35:21 | 9993 views
Musicians allege that they have not been paid their royalties since 2009. After failing to receive their royalties on June 1, the usual date for payments, angry artists besieged the Zimbabwe Music Rights Association (Zimura) offices in Harare, accusing the association of not being tough on the public broadcaster.
Zimura has since launched an urgent court application on the issue.
"It is very true that we will not be able to pay musicians because ZBC has not paid the royalties, honestly we are under pressure and composers need to be paid. We are waiting for the court date," said Albert Nyathi, Zimura board chairman.
Under the contract with Zimura as the manager of artists' rights and collecting agency, the broadcaster is supposed to pay royalties for music played on air.
Zimura lawyer, Witness Zhangazha, said: "A contract exists between Zimura and ZBC that states that 10 percent of net advertising revenue generated by ZBC should be paid as royalties to musicians. The understanding is that advertisers target a pool of listeners and viewers that tune in to ZBC to listen to musicians' products."
The non-profit organization, made up mostly of 2200 musicians, is incensed because ZBC is not treating the issue with urgency. Zimura also says the 2011 amount is still unknown because ZBC stopped supplying schedules of advertising revenue a long time ago.
ZBC lawyer Absalom Muchandiona says the broadcaster is aware of the case but will not comment as the issue is now before the courts.
Demonstrating at the Zimura offices, irate musicians said the organistation is being lenient with ZBC. "You are paid to do the collection on our behalf and we want our monies. We don't care about ZBC. We want our money and we are tired of living in shacks" protested Zindi, band member of the Transit Crew.
"DJs only speak three minutes in an hour, news is only five minutes and the rest of the hour is our music being played. We don't understand why they say there is no money when DJs are driving cars but musicians are being condemned to poverty," added Zindi.
Also blaming Zimura for the mess was traditional singer Kiren Zulu who queried why the Zimura board is failing to pressure the broadcaster.
The artists also accuse ZBC of robbing them their full payments by submitting inaccurate music log sheets to Zimura. Polisile Ncube, Zimura director, says the organization is in the process of installing a computerized system that atomically logs music once played on radio or TV.
Bekezela Maduma Fuzwayo | 2013 May 19 | 477 Views
Eyewitness News | 2013 May 19 | 724 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 609 Views
Sapa-AFP | 2013 May 19 | 402 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 371 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 318 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 19 | 321 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 572 Views
Harmony Agere | 2013 May 19 | 459 Views
Alex Bell | 2013 May 19 | 313 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 462 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 458 Views
David Magagula | 2013 May 19 | 503 Views
Happymore Sibanda | 2013 May 19 | 437 Views
AFP | 2013 May 19 | 472 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 517 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 330 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1124 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 639 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 576 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 3179 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 18 | 1735 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 3099 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1324 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 1178 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 1723 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2076 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 1910 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 3540 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 15 | 1937 Views
Arts Correspondent | 2013 May 14 | 2701 Views
Carter Chapwanya | 2013 May 14 | 2261 Views
Own Correspondent | 2013 May 14 | 1370 Views