SA immigration continues to bar women without affidavits entry
2012 August 08 08:44:52 | 3232 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2876 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2791 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6690 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7469 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6049 views
- Immigration official found dead | 2013 April 19 08:26:19
- SA immigration loses patience with border jumpers | 2013 April 09 23:03:06
- Zimbabwe must relax immigration laws | 2013 February 19 08:15:23
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 84916 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46401 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44838 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30513 views
In an interview yesterday, Mr Mamoepa, who is also the ministerial spokesperson in the SA Department of Home Affairs, said the conduct by immigration officials at Beitbridge Border Post was illegal.
"Really, I am not aware of such a development, but however, it is not proper for our immigration officials to deny a bona fide traveller entry into South Africa for as long as that person has a valid travel document even if that traveller is aged 16 or below," he said.
Last week scores of Zimbabwean women travelling to South Africa with minor children were left stranded at Beitbridge Border Post when the neighbouring country's immigration officials turned them away as they demanded affidavits for the children.
According to South African immigration officials at the border, a parent or guardian intending to travel to South Africa in the company of minor children was now required to produce an affidavit signed by the other parent or both parents in the case of those travelling with a guardian before the child's passport is stamped.
The document is reportedly required for children below the age of 17.
The development sparked an outcry from travellers who are complaining that their travelling rights were being infringed upon yet they had the necessary travelling documents.
The assistant regional immigration manager-in-charge of Beitbridge Border Post, Mr Charles Gwede, confirmed that several Zimbabwean mothers were denied entry into South Africa for failing to produce the required documents.
"Since May, we have been handling cases of local women who intended travelling into South Africa in the company of children aged 16 and below being denied entry. In fact, we held a meeting with our South African counterparts and they argued that it was in line with their new immigration laws," he said.
There are indications that the new development could be aimed at reducing child trafficking across the Limpopo River.
Co-Home Affairs Minister Kembo Mohadi last week said his South African counterparts might have adopted the United Nations Protocols on Convention against Transnational Organised Crime, one of them being child and women trafficking.
The development has breathed life into the business of cross-border transporters, commonly known as omalayitsha, who are back in business as they are now reportedly cashing in on those who would have been turned away with their children to illegally cross the border.
Usually, minor children travel to South Africa when schools close to join their parents based in the neighbouring country.
Sports reporter | 2013 May 21 | 745 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2614 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2684 Views
Francis Mufambi | 2013 May 21 | 958 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1908 Views
Theafricareport | 2013 May 21 | 1385 Views
The Associated Press | 2013 May 21 | 1199 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1704 Views
Own Correspondent | 2013 May 21 | 2736 Views
realbuzz.com | 2013 May 21 | 2279 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4637 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1422 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2028 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1633 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2101 Views
Mutumwa Mawere | 2013 May 21 | 2242 Views
Abel Zhakata in MUTARE | 2013 May 21 | 1516 Views
Daily News | 2013 May 21 | 2575 Views
Sports Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2198 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1713 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2403 Views
New Ziana. | 2013 May 21 | 1045 Views
New Ziana. | 2013 May 21 | 1416 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1295 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 529 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2821 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 3864 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 1834 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 1979 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2027 Views