Journo dragged out of Mtukudzi-Macheso show
2012 July 10 11:33:32 | 2549 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 3047 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2846 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6746 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7533 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6104 views
- Lessons from Oliver Mtukudzi | 2013 May 22 06:40:54
- Macheso's girlfriend arrested for beating up a reporter | 2013 April 28 10:06:27
- Mtukudzi to stage 2 shows in Canada | 2013 April 24 11:05:50
- Thief breaks into Macheso's BMW X5 | 2013 April 15 08:25:14
- Macheso to grace AU celebrations in Ethiopia | 2013 April 14 10:17:46
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 85528 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46694 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 45068 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30708 views
Mpofu who has not denied entering the back stage area where Mtukudzi was resting, has defended himself saying the attack was unprovoked and also added that in front of onlookers, he was choked, kicked and punched in what he described as a brutal assault he even thought he had died.
Below was Mkhululi Mpofu short account of what transpired, which report has been disputed by both function organisers and Oliver Mtukudzi's team:
"ONE of the promoters of the Oliver Mtukudzi and Alick Macheso United Kingdom tour has been arrested by British police in Leicester after he brutally attacked me during the show last night for no apparent reason.
I was attacked in full view of co-promoters who never tried to rescue me from the monster.
The overzealous promoter was immediately arrested by police in the early hours of Sunday morning at the venue of the show, Leicester's Athena. He was detained overnight and is still wallowing in the police cells.
The heavy built and weight-lifting promoter is being held at Mansfield House Police station, Leicester.
Police said they will interview my assailant this morning and he is expected to be formerly charged. I am pressing charges of assault and theft of my camera. I have already presented a full statement to the police.
Trouble started while Tuku and Macheso entertained the excited crowd when the chubby promoter approached me and started attacking me with blows. He then dragged me out of the venue despite having paid to enter the venue and continued attacking me.
He confiscated The ZimDiaspora camera and footage was lost during the process. Some equipment was also damaged during the fracas.
In a completely unprovoked attack, he grabbed me by my throat, squeezing and kicking me at the same time. It was the most savage attack I have ever experienced in my life.
As several other media personnel were filming what is rumoured to be Tuku's last world tour, the notorious promoter was busy body-punching and choking me. After being dragged outside by the collar, he pushed me into a secluded ditch, pressed me down and continued kicking, punching and choking me to the extent that I thought I would die.
As I struggled for my breath, I tried ringing the emergency services, he then grabbed my mobile phone and flung it across the street, smashing the iPhone into smatterings.
It was only after a loud scream that a passerby came to my rescue and the police were immediately called who subsequently arrested the vicious promoter.
It is unfortunate that while most of Zimbabwean shows in the UK are very peaceful there are some people who still think that it is their privilege as promoters to go about assaulting and duping fans as they wish.
The behaviour of the promoter is unwarranted and risk tarnishing the image of one of Africa's greatest musicians Oliver Mtukudzi."
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 23 | 194 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 23 | 231 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 23 | 301 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 22 | 386 Views
AFP | 2013 May 22 | 402 Views
Delta Milayo Ndou | 2013 May 22 | 481 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 22 | 910 Views
Masowe eChishanu | 2013 May 22 | 975 Views
amnesty.org | 2013 May 22 | 787 Views
New Ziana | 2013 May 22 | 547 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 22 | 807 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 22 | 932 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1079 Views
Den Moyo | 2013 May 22 | 1726 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2213 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1009 Views
Own correspondent | 2013 May 22 | 1400 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2870 Views
Joshua Mhambi | 2013 May 22 | 2268 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 4001 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2374 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2434 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 4317 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1664 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 1562 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4293 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 5261 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 2233 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 2208 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2120 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2927 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 2297 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 4353 Views