Woman's allergic reaction leaves nails growing on her skin instead of hair
2012 August 11 19:15:13 | 5232 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2782 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2762 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6658 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7445 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6007 views
- 7 children die under mysterious circumstances in a space of a week | 2013 April 07 00:27:15
- Chinua Achebe dies after a brief illness | 2013 March 22 13:35:22
- Sexual transmitted infection cases spike in Matabeleland North | 2013 February 28 09:31:03
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 84596 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46207 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44703 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30403 views
She suffered an allergic reaction three years ago which caused the debilitating syndrome which has left her struggling to walk and carry out daily chores.
The university student was left covered in hard scabs as 'nails' replaced the hair on her body and doctors are still in the dark about how to cure Shanynaâ€™s mysterious illness.
In September 2009 she was prescribed steroids after suffering an asthma attack and within hours the law student was â€˜itchingâ€™ all over her body.
Soon black bumps covered her legs and doctors treated her for everything from eczema to Staphylococcal infection to no avail.
Shanyna became bedridden as the illness took over and doctors tried to determine what was wrong.
In 2011 she began treatment in Baltimore where doctors established that the bumps were in fact human nails slowly covering Shanynaâ€™s body.
She produces 12 times the normal number of skin cells per hair follicle, suffocating her skin.
â€˜Where hair grows, nails are growing,â€™ Shanyna told WAFB news.
Today doctors have yet to diagnose her but have been able to control her symptoms.
â€˜I couldn't sit up and I couldn't walk, but now I can walk with a cane and sometimes I can walk on my own.â€™
â€˜As of right now, I am the only one in the world with my illness.â€™
The illness has left Shanyna and her family deep in debt as state-issued insurance does not cover her care at the specialist unit she attends in Baltimore and only covers five of the 17 medications she is prescribed.
The family savings accounts are dry and her outstanding medical bills are currently up to Â£160,000 ($250,000).
Shanyna has set up the S.A.I Foundation to raise money for her treatment but fears she may not be able to continue.
She relies on family and friends for financial help and they have rallied around her for support.
â€˜At this point I just do everything I can to get the help that's needed for her,â€™ her friend Tolungia Webb said.
Shanyna hopes that the foundation will be able to raise enough money to cover her medical bills and help others in the same situation.
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 5 Views
Staff Reportyer | 2013 May 21 | 500 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 322 Views
A Correspondent | 2013 May 20 | 1649 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 676 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 906 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 1405 Views
Gift Phiri | aljazeera.com | 2013 May 20 | 4026 Views
Fuyane, Lovemore | 2013 May 20 | 3009 Views
Sapa | 2013 May 20 | 2496 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 5357 Views
Own correspondent | 2013 May 20 | 1565 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 3428 Views
Aljazeera | 2013 May 20 | 2015 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 4109 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 2513 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 3390 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 3386 Views
Augustine Hwata | 2013 May 20 | 1937 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 2761 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 4055 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 4056 Views
Court Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 2279 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 2189 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 1738 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 1481 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 1841 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 1991 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2554 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 2175 Views