Thokozani Khupe nominated for the African Achievers Award
2012 February 22 18:54:55 | 842 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2597 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2662 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6551 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7307 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 5909 views
- Zimbabwean starlet earns 2013 Orsborn award in the US | 2013 May 09 16:42:16
- Machirori wins IWMF Lifetime Achievement Award | 2013 May 07 16:39:52
- Thokozani Khupe accused of imposing candidates | 2013 April 20 11:10:53
- Zimbabwean filmmaker nominated for regional awards | 2013 April 19 16:19:34
- R5 000 bravery award for Zim vendor who foiled an SA jail break | 2013 March 02 21:49:14
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 83878 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 45699 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44330 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30088 views
Since her appointment as the DPM in February 2009, Khupe has set her focus on improving the quality of life of women and has been at the forefront of the 50/50 representation in Parliament.
It is her belief that unless women are represented in Parliament, their issues will remain unresolved.
Issues such as gender budgeting and access to equal opportunities can be addressed if women are equally represented in Parliament since this is where budgets are passed and laws are made.
DPM Khupe held the first ever Women's Economic Development Summit that was supported by many non-governmental organizations such as SIDA, CIDA, USAID, DFID and Netherlands Embassy.
This women's National Summit came up with a document known as the Women's Economic Development Plan that identified the various sectors of our economy, namely tourism, mining, manufacturing and agriculture in which women can actively participate.
Through her "Meet the Deputy Prime Minister's Forum," the DPM has managed to create a link between her office and women from all walks of life. This has given her the opportunity to clearly understand women's issues and work towards finding solutions.
In her capacity as the Goodwill Ambassador for the Campaign on the Accelerated Reduction of Maternal Mortality, the DPM has advocated for the removal of user fees for pregnant women.
Since the unveiling of the $450 million health sector fund by the developmental partners and the $10 million set aside by the Ministry of Finance for the Ministry of Health and Child Welfare, it will not be long before Zimbabwe's pregnant women access pre- and post-natal care without paying any money. She has donated to orphanages, old people's homes and at hospitals.
In September 2010, the DPM was elected the President of the Global Power Women Network Africa.
This is a network of women of influence in Africa that seek to address the challenges of HIV/AIDS prevalence among women and girls and also through programmes that give women economic emancipation.
Recently, the DPM went public about her breast cancer condition, thereby creating much awareness on the various cancers that affect women. The DPM still urges women to visit hospitals for mammogram tests, since early detection of cancer can save lives.
The African Achievers Award is an innovative project by CAASSUK.
The award recognises successful and confident Africans who unselfishly invest their time and talents towards building a stronger community.
The award categories range from; business and entrepreneurship, arts and culture, community services and education, leadership and excellence, among others.
It is a recognition of those that have contributed in the rising of Africa.
The first recipient of this Prestigious Award was Archbishop Desmond Tutu, the Nobel Peace Laureate and former Anglican Archbishop of Cape Town in South Africa.
Sports reporter | 2013 May 18 | 15 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 18 | 35 Views
online | 2013 May 18 | 895 Views
Gideon Gono | 2013 May 18 | 520 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1136 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 428 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1135 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1172 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1598 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 755 Views
Supersport | 2013 May 18 | 1179 Views
AFP | 2013 May 18 | 1743 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 870 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 998 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 5684 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 2685 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 4155 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1204 Views
Patrice Lumumba | 2013 May 18 | 2363 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 2298 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1647 Views
Nathaniel Manheru | 2013 May 18 | 1311 Views
Bowden B.C. Mbanje and Darlington N. Mahuku | 2013 May 18 | 1325 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1353 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 364 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 1601 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 1889 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 1792 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 3390 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 15 | 1886 Views