Nyarota wins $90 000 court case against Daily News
2012 April 25 07:42:22 | 1832 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 3086 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2870 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6779 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7599 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6124 views
- 'Nyarota trying to seek attention,' says MDC-T MP | 2013 April 17 17:56:52
- Nyarota alleges death threats | 2013 April 02 11:12:51
- Nyarota threatens Newsday for 'Gukurahundi brand manager' allegations | 2013 March 05 16:06:46
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 85926 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46910 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 45288 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30838 views
In 2009 ANZ allegedly entered an employment contract with Nyarota who was in the United States and paid for his relocation costs back to Zimbabwe in preparation for the re-launch of The Daily News.
He was promised a monthly salary of US$4 000 plus allowances to the tune of US$2 500 for a contract running from January 2010 to December 2010.
The contract was terminated after a few months of receiving the package and Nyarota instructed his lawyers Scanlen and Holderness to challenge the termination of the contract.
In August last year, an arbitrator found that although there was no written contract of employment between the parties, Nyarota had been employed by ANZ and that the termination of employment was unlawful.
Considering that reinstatement was no longer tenable, the same arbitrator on February 24 this year ordered ANZ to pay Nyarota US$90 921.
Nyarota's lawyers recently filed an application to register the US$90 921 award at the High Court but ANZ opposed it on the basis that the arbitrator wrongly found the existence of an employment contract between the parties.
Justice Samuel Kudya referred the application to the opposed court roll now that ANZ had filed opposing papers.
In opposing the claim for damages by Nyarota, ANZ argued he was only a consultant and not an employee.
It was submitted that there was no written agreement for his employment and that he was not even given any title during the alleged period of employment.
Nyarota, according to ANZ, was not under any supervision and he did not report to anyone during the time in question.
ANZ said Nyarota did not devote all his time to the company and he actually chose where to operate from.
Nyarota's lawyers argued that ANZ in 2003 started by relieving him of his duties as editor of Daily News before he relocated to the US with his family.
In 2008 ANZ engaged Nyarota into a discussion through the e-mail on the re-launch of the newspaper promising him a senior position.
The company also successfully negotiated to buy Nyarota's website formerly known as The Zimbabwe Times for US$60 000.
Nyarota was later lured into working for ANZ on a US$4 000 cost of living allowance that later turned into a "salary."
The company paid for Nyarota's relocation costs to Zimbabwe in preparation for the re-launch of the paper. Nyarota said he did not get the company vehicle that he had been promised neither were there any offices in town.
There was no computer and internet services and ANZ refused to sign a written agreement with him in March 2010 and the labour dispute ensued.
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 23 | 693 Views
Mkhululi Mthunzi | 2013 May 23 | 519 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 23 | 1370 Views
Soccer Laduma | 2013 May 23 | 866 Views
Financial Express | 2013 May 23 | 902 Views
Velempini Ndlovu | 2013 May 23 | 1161 Views
ZUPA Team. | 2013 May 23 | 803 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 23 | 3320 Views
Business reporter | 2013 May 23 | 685 Views
Vince Musewe | 2013 May 23 | 942 Views
Sapa | 2013 May 23 | 1986 Views
Sapa | 2013 May 23 | 2206 Views
AFP | 2013 May 23 | 1861 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 3387 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 3589 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 3796 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 3098 Views
Njabulo Ncube | 2013 May 23 | 3218 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 3798 Views
Gordon Rayner and Steven Swinford | 2013 May 23 | 2157 Views
Liberty Dube | 2013 May 23 | 3201 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 2548 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 3703 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 2922 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 2073 Views
BangShowBiz | 2013 May 23 | 1496 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 23 | 661 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 1007 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 1841 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4597 Views