Army has no role in party politics
2012 June 18 09:09:01 | 1098 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 3029 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2840 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6737 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7520 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6097 views
- MDC-T pledges to trim the army | 2013 May 19 09:33:15
- Good People's Movement joins the political fray | 2013 May 16 06:03:22
- It's time for a 'New Way' in Zimbabwe politics | 2013 May 15 15:11:39
- Row over partisan army chiefs intensifies | 2013 May 03 09:25:34
- 'Army generals refuse not meet Tsvangirai' | 2013 April 28 09:32:27
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 85409 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46637 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 45021 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30666 views
Barely two weeks after Southern African Development Community (Sadc) had implored quarrelling Zimbabwean coalition partners, on Friday Zanu-PF pressed another button aimed at causing more desperation and consternation within the inclusive government.
Statements by Zanu-PF secretary for administration - Didymus Mutasa - that the military will join the party in its electoral campaigns have sent shivers to pro-democracy and peaceful Zimbabweans.
"In as much as l do not know much about what is going on at Copac, personally l do not have a problem with the military choosing to campaign for a party of their choice.
"It is common knowledge that trade unions (ZCTU) campaign for the MDC and should we then say they should not do that. These people fought with us during the liberation struggle, so why should we discriminate against them. We cannot stop them from campaigning," Mutasa said.
Not only do Mutasa's remarks negate the gains made so far in the inclusive government since its consummation, but more worryingly, they show the recalcitrant attitude of Zanu-PF.
And it is clear that Zanu-PF has laid down the marker and is preparing to go for broke despite appearing to have a voice of reason which it uses for its own convenience.
What was the need for the meeting with President Jacob Zuma's backroom staff last week which had been dispatched to lay ground work for the resumption of talks between the GPA partners?
Mutasa's remarks cannot be treated as another scaremongering tactic by Zanu-PF because they resonate with previous utterances by generals.
There is no doubting the weight of those utterances which Sadc leaders have politely told President Robert Mugabe that they are dangerous and unsettling.
Once the military becomes involved in politics and puts its weight behind one political party, then we shudder to think the outcome of an election which goes against its agenda.
We hope that Mutasa might have relapsed into one of those Zanu-PF schizophrenic operas which are consistent with its failings.
Given the history of our military, which has not been known to dabble into politics, we can draw comfort in its constitutional mandate - to protect and safeguard the interests of Zimbabwe and its citizens.
And Zanu-PF is not Zimbabwe and Zimbabwe is not Zanu-PF!
Den Moyo | 2013 May 22 | 142 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 203 Views
Business reporter | 2013 May 22 | 190 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 22 | 280 Views
Business reporter | 2013 May 22 | 190 Views
Own correspondent | 2013 May 22 | 524 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1863 Views
Joshua Mhambi | 2013 May 22 | 1629 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2934 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1783 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1764 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 3344 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1132 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2517 Views
Business reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2736 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1826 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 4318 Views
Business reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1212 Views
Ben Chiganze | 2013 May 22 | 1869 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1827 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1184 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2164 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1170 Views
Prosper Ndlovu | 2013 May 22 | 1341 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 1396 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4087 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 5003 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 2151 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 2158 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2088 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2879 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 2288 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 4274 Views