Mugabe desperate for sanctions removal
2012 July 17 12:49:49 | 1292 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2661 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2682 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6572 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7353 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 5929 views
- 'Sanctions were a blessing in disguise,' says Gono | 2013 May 19 09:05:21
- 'Mugabe acts contrary to whats agreed in Monday meetings' | 2013 May 18 18:08:29
- Mugabe admits losing grip | 2013 May 14 10:05:58
- 'Mugabe is under siege,' says Mandaza | 2013 May 13 13:00:17
- Scottish National Party official defends Mugabe's land invasions | 2013 May 12 12:29:40
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 83994 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 45802 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44419 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30195 views
Addressing the plenary of the 19th Ordinary Session of the AU Assembly here, President Mugabe hailed the assistance rendered by Sadc, saying the AU should pick the gauntlet.
"My country is still labouring under the burden of illegal sanctions; although Sadc has done its best, we still have Europe imposing sanctions on us, America continuing to impose sanctions on us," he said.
"We would like to go for elections without sanctions, but there is no indication that there is a willingness on their part to get rid of these sanctions.
"May we get a word from this meeting that these sanctions are unjustified, these sanctions continue to impact on our people, these sanctions must go!"
Zimbabwe is expected to hold harmonised elections before June next year to signal the end of the inclusive Government that has outlived its set time frame.
Zanu-PF says the elections should be held as a matter of urgency since they are now overdue, while the MDC formations want them delayed.
The MDC formations argue that the harmonised elections should be held under a new constitution. Copac has missed a deadline to produce the new constitution by almost two years and hopes have since faded that the country will have it soon.
Zanu-PF has said that the elections could still be held under the current Constitution that hasbeen used to hold successful elections since independence in 1980.
The Non-Aligned Movement, Comesa and Sadc have since called for the lifting of sanctions imposed on Zimbabwe by Western sanctions. The sanctions were imposed at the instigation of Britain which was angered by Zimbabwe's land reform programme that ensured equitable distribution of land. Meanwhile, the British are said to be lobbying for the extension of the sanctions, with Labour MP Peter Hain expected to move a motion in the British parliament today calling for the European Union to maintain the sanctions on Zimbabwe.
Mr Hain, who served as a junior minister under the Labour government of Mr Tony Blair, appeared irked by moves by the EU to suspend the sanctions and his motion will be seconded by another Labour MP, Ms Kate Hoey. The British MPs also want the sanctions to be extended to more Zimbabwean businesspeople and Chinese businessman Mr Simon Pa.
Last week, the EU agreed in principle to lift the embargo, but only if certain conditions were met. The conditions include the publication of a new constitution, the adoption of human rights laws, the holding of a successful referendum and the conduct of free elections.
Zanu-PF maintains that anything short of unconditional lifting of sanctions is not acceptable to Zimbabwe as the sanctions are illegal in the first place.
STaff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 397 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 216 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 444 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 194 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 253 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 246 Views
MDC Spokesman | 2013 May 19 | 183 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 200 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 19 | 216 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 19 | 113 Views
Bekezela Maduma Fuzwayo | 2013 May 19 | 837 Views
Eyewitness News | 2013 May 19 | 1521 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1072 Views
Sapa-AFP | 2013 May 19 | 633 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 635 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 523 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 19 | 556 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 867 Views
Harmony Agere | 2013 May 19 | 676 Views
Alex Bell | 2013 May 19 | 474 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 687 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 643 Views
David Magagula | 2013 May 19 | 803 Views
Happymore Sibanda | 2013 May 19 | 703 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 1248 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 1739 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2108 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 1927 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 3559 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 15 | 1938 Views