ZESA accuses Madhuku of favouratism
2012 July 31 13:12:55 | 1997 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2867 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2790 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6689 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7467 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6048 views
- Massive shakeup at Zesa | 2013 May 09 09:17:31
- Harare council, Zesa in a tit for tat over unpaid bills | 2013 April 30 07:31:27
- Zesa embarks on a massive power disconnection exercise | 2013 April 23 10:07:27
- Zesa threatens to disconnect defaulters | 2013 April 22 09:35:20
- Zesa fined $400 for failing to pay workers | 2013 April 09 05:57:06
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 84903 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46394 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44832 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30511 views
The power utility argues that Prof Madhuku was registered as a lawyer under Matsikidze and Mucheche law firm.
This is the same law firm that represented the workers during the conciliation stage.
It is Zesa's contention that Prof Madhuku showed favour to "his clients" when he presided over the labour case and that his decision should be nullified.
The decision was the one that resulted in the suspension of over 100 workers from the Zimbabwe Electricity Transmission and Distribution Company and Zesa Enterprises on July 10 this year.
The workers reportedly staged a job action pressing for a salary increment in line with the arbitral award.
In the court application, Zesa Holdings cited Prof Madhuku, the Zimbabwe Energy Workers' Union and Zesa Technical Employees Association as respondents.
Zesa Holdings corporate services executive, Mr Jadson Ndlovu, deposed an affidavit in which he laid the basis of challenging the appointment of Prof Madhuku as an arbitrator and his subsequent decision.
Zesa Holdings and the workers have been locked up in a dispute emanating from a collective bargaining agreement of January 27 this year. The parties failed to agree on the interpretation with the workers arguing that the agreement compelled Zesa to award a pay increase.
Zesa Holdings then challenged the decision and the parties went for conciliation.
At that stage Matsikidze and Mucheche law firm represented the workers.
The matter was finally referred for voluntary arbitration and each party appointed an arbitrator of choice.
The workers appointed Prof Madhuku, while the employer appointed Mr George Makings.
When the parties met for a pre-arbitration meeting, they were surprised to find Prof Madhuku facilitating as an arbitrator when he was known to be a member of the worker's law firm.
"Circumstances of this matter are that Prof Madhuku has a practising certificate in the name of Matsikidze and Mucheche. It is my understanding that a legal practitioner holding a practising certificate in the name of a firm, practises legal work in that firm.
"Alternatively, a practising certificate is obtained in order to do actual legal work with a particular firm.
"In this case, Prof Madhuku is an associate in the firm Matsikidze and Mucheche. This means Mr Matsikidze and Mr Mucheche are his principals or supervisors," said Mr Ndlovu on behalf of Zesa Holdings.
Prof Madhuku is yet to file his response.
Sports reporter | 2013 May 21 | 566 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2237 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2337 Views
Francis Mufambi | 2013 May 21 | 813 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1612 Views
Theafricareport | 2013 May 21 | 1207 Views
The Associated Press | 2013 May 21 | 1048 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1593 Views
Own Correspondent | 2013 May 21 | 2578 Views
realbuzz.com | 2013 May 21 | 2220 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4442 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1360 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1919 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1565 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2008 Views
Mutumwa Mawere | 2013 May 21 | 2158 Views
Abel Zhakata in MUTARE | 2013 May 21 | 1466 Views
Daily News | 2013 May 21 | 2503 Views
Sports Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2111 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1660 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2316 Views
New Ziana. | 2013 May 21 | 1003 Views
New Ziana. | 2013 May 21 | 1368 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1255 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 464 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2722 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 3789 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 1816 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 1970 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2025 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2686 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 2233 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 4110 Views