Road named after late Gen Mujuru
2012 August 04 07:05:50 | 2170 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2703 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2711 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6598 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7380 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 5949 views
- Mujuru to be named Mugabe's successor | 2013 May 19 18:40:50
- Mujuru urges church leaders to participate in Zanu-PF programmes | 2013 May 19 13:15:40
- Mujuru to officially launch 'Vote For a Woman Campaign' | 2013 May 09 07:34:24
- VP Mujuru back from Dubai | 2013 May 02 00:06:52
- Mujuru commission upgrading of the Victoria Falls Airport | 2013 April 13 06:41:30
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 84163 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 45937 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44503 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30256 views
HARARE City Council has renamed Enterprise Road after national hero and retired army General Solomon Mujuru.
It also renamed Rotten Row after the late Chief Justice Enoch Dumbutshena and Churchill Road after the late Professor Walter Kamba.
The renaming of Enterprise Road to General Solomon Mujuru Road is, however, subject to the concurrence of his widow Vice President Joice Mujuru and the Mujuru family.
Chief Justice Dumbutshena and Prof Kambaâ€™s families have since agreed to the changes.
Council will soon notify Government of the new names which were approved at a full council meeting on Thursday. â€œCouncil approves the naming of Enterprise Road after the late retired army General Solomon Tapfumaneyi Mujuru after consulting the surviving spouse and his family,â€ read the council minutes.
â€œThe city approves the request from executive secretary of the Law Society of Zimbabwe to honour our distinguished luminaries Chief Justice Enock Dumbutshena and Professor Walter Kamba by naming streets after them.â€
The roads were chosen because they pass through or near institutions that the luminaries served.
Enterprise Road was named after General Mujuru probably because it is near KG VI barracks and that it leads to his house.
Council said it was renaming Rotten Row after Chief Justice Dumbutshena because the Harare Magistratesâ€™ Courts are located along the road. It also said Churchill Road would become Prof Walter Kamba Road because the University of Zimbabwe where he was the first black Vice-Chancellor after independence is in that road.
Government changed names of most roads and cities after independence to reflect the winds of change sweeping across the country.
Some major roads were named after icons of the liberation struggle such as Josiah Tongogara, Herbert Chitepo, Jason Moyo, George Silundika, Joshua Nkomo and Josiah Chinamano.
Other roads were named after regional leaders such as Nelson Mandela of South Africa, Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana, Julius Nyerere of Tanzania, Kenneth Kaunda of Zambia, Sam Nujoma of Namibia and Samora Machel of Mozambique.
Some of the leaders played a major role in the liberation of Zimbabwe as members of the Frontline States.
There have been attempts to rename schools after icons of the liberation struggle and other luminaries.
Some are not happy that there are schools bearing colonial names such as Queen Elizabeth, Winston Churchill, King George, Allan Wilson and Prince Edward.
Council recently converted major roads into one-way lanes as part of measures to decongest traffic.
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 258 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 225 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 312 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 265 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 515 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 876 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 639 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1890 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1217 Views
Gaye Davis, City Press | 2013 May 19 | 1962 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1307 Views
Stephen Grootes | 2013 May 19 | 1113 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 2980 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 19 | 3799 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 19 | 2957 Views
STaff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 3212 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1435 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 2544 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1091 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1319 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1246 Views
MDC Spokesman | 2013 May 19 | 1042 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1018 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1148 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 1557 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 1850 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2258 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 2017 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 3686 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 15 | 1969 Views
Arts Correspondent | 2013 May 14 | 2767 Views
Carter Chapwanya | 2013 May 14 | 2281 Views
Own Correspondent | 2013 May 14 | 1383 Views