Zapu pushes for NO vote
2012 August 04 18:04:41 | 1946 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2746 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2738 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6638 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7416 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 5981 views
- ZAPU Europe holds a 'successful' AGM | 2013 May 07 01:56:15
- ZAPU affirms itself in Jotsholo | 2013 May 04 09:22:07
- Message from Zapu Europe chairperson | 2013 April 17 09:15:06
- Referendum voting patterns points to a Zanu-PF victory says NCA | 2013 March 27 08:13:51
- ZAPU To hold massive Africa Day Celebrations in the UK | 2013 March 25 19:53:17
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 84449 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46128 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44647 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30364 views
Zapu has come out and said they will push for a NO vote because the draft constitution is a compromised document that failed to capture accurately the views of the people.
Former Zanu-PF politburo member Simba Makoni's Mavambo/Kusile/Dawn party and Job Sikhala's MDC 99 told the Daily News that they are yet to take a stance towards the document.
Sikhala said he is meeting his party's National Executive Council this week to look at the draft paper and make a decision whether to support it or not.
"We will look at whether the proposed constitution advances the democratic agenda or not. We will also check whether it balances the common interests of the people and their aspirations. What is important is that we avoid the 2000 blunder we made as MDC when we voted No for the Chidyausiku draft," Sikhala said.
While some radical elements within his party were calling for the outright opposition of the document, Sikhala said the issue had to be debated at length because the 2000 referendum mistake should not be repeated.
Zimbabwe's last draft constitution referendum was held in 2000 and it was soundly defeated. Analysts and political commentators, however, believe the NO vote was a blunder as there were serious repercussion for the nation.
Joel Mapaura, the communications officer of Mavambo said his party's legal team is set to scrutinise the document and as soon as they finish the public will be notified.
Mark Mbayiwa, the Zapu's Southern region coordinator sang a totally different tune from the two parties and said Zapu will push for a "NO" vote because the document undermines the people.
"We go along with the 40 Matabeleland civic societies that said they will push for a No vote. The most contentious issue that we feel aggrieved with is devolution," Mbayiwa said.
"We don't want a diluted devolution; we want power to the provinces and not half devolution. As Zapu we will definitely campaign for a No Vote," he added.
The mainstream MDC and the smaller MDC which are in the inclusive government have endorsed and adopted the document.
Welshman Ncube leader of the smaller MDC, however, warned that he will not accept any changes to be incorporated into the document because politicians have spoken and it is time for the people to air their views.
Gift Phiri | aljazeera.com | 2013 May 20 | 1943 Views
Fuyane, Lovemore | 2013 May 20 | 1461 Views
Sapa | 2013 May 20 | 1212 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 3770 Views
Own correspondent | 2013 May 20 | 1019 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 2305 Views
Aljazeera | 2013 May 20 | 1341 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 2818 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 1645 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 2182 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 2341 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 863 Views
Augustine Hwata | 2013 May 20 | 1425 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 2049 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 2971 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 3148 Views
Court Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 1684 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 1601 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 1209 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 20 | 1587 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 1901 Views
Agencies | 2013 May 20 | 1175 Views
Sunday World | 2013 May 20 | 2483 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 1892 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 1055 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 1725 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 1938 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2460 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 2110 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 3852 Views