Facebook exposes cheating partners
2012 August 19 09:26:08 | 2625 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 3036 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2842 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6740 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7528 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6101 views
- 'Infidelity is destroying social fibre,' says Chief Mathe | 2013 May 13 09:35:56
- Facebook 'in talks to buy' Israeli navigation app Waze | 2013 May 12 10:52:30
- Facebook - South African user-base drop by 1 million | 2013 April 10 07:40:07
- 'Facebook Rapist' - jail term cut to 30yrs | 2013 April 05 18:29:17
- Facebook introduces new product 'Home' | 2013 April 04 21:25:47
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 85475 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46672 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 45050 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30689 views
Police attribute the increase to infidelity and marital disputes linked to finances. Zimbabwe Women's Parliamentary Caucus chairÂperson Beatrice Nyamupinga said the House of Assembly Portfolio Committee on Women's Affairs, Gender and Community Development would run the campaign under the banner, "Parliamentarians against genÂder-based violence".
She said the caucus took the decision folÂlowing indications domestic violence continÂued unabated.
"The idea emerged after it was noted that domestic violence was on the increase. We thought it would help if parliamentarians preached the gospel of peace in their respecÂtive constituencies," she said.
National police spokesperson SuperintenÂdent Andrew Phiri last week said about 3 830 domestic violence cases have been reported since the beginning of the year.
He said technological advancements such as Facebook, WhatsApp and the short message service (SMS) often spark violence in homes after exposing infidelity.
He said women accounted for the larger proportion of victims, adding that many abused men were reluctant to make their cases known.
"Domestic violence is on the increase. It is likely to increase tremendously during the festive season due to bonus allowances awarded to workers at that time of the year.
"Limited economic resources in families have also led to the increase of domestic vioÂlence as misunderstandings arise on when and how the money should be spent.
"We, as the police, have put in place measures such as prosecuting perpetrators of domestic violence as well as protection orders for the victims. However, the biggest challenge is that cases are withdrawn, especially if the complainant is female. They usually fear that no one will fend for the family if the accused, who is usually the breadwinner, is jailed."
Msasa Project director Ms Nettie Musanhi said her organisation continues to handle numerous cases, some of which culminate in murder.
Ms Musanhi urged Government to empower women to ensure their economic independence.
"I can confirm that we have received an increased number of domestic violence cases. Some of them are horrendous as a partner could have been gruesomely murdered or extremely burnt by the other," she said.
"The Government should make sure women actively participate in economic empowerment programmes such as the land reform and mining where the majority of beneficiaries are men.
"Funds should also be availed to create susÂtainable income-generating projects for women."
The Domestic Violence Act of 2006 proÂvides for the protection and relief of victims of domestic violence.
It defines such violence as an unlawful act, omission or behaviour which results in death or the direct infliction of physical, sexual or mental injury to a complainant.
AFP | 2013 May 22 | 41 Views
Delta Milayo Ndou | 2013 May 22 | 86 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 22 | 431 Views
Masowe eChishanu | 2013 May 22 | 453 Views
amnesty.org | 2013 May 22 | 384 Views
New Ziana | 2013 May 22 | 239 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 22 | 520 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 22 | 706 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 888 Views
Den Moyo | 2013 May 22 | 1480 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1881 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 22 | 842 Views
Own correspondent | 2013 May 22 | 1171 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2624 Views
Joshua Mhambi | 2013 May 22 | 2120 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 3669 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2222 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2233 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 4075 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1527 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 3074 Views
Business reporter | 2013 May 22 | 3343 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2292 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 5161 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 1496 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4224 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 5177 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 2207 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 2189 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2110 Views