Kombi operators threatens to approach Mugabe
2012 September 08 13:38:54 | 3532 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2718 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2721 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6611 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7392 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 5958 views
- Tsvangirai to reverse Mugabe's controversial indigenisation drive | 2013 May 20 06:23:12
- 'Mugabe acts contrary to whats agreed in Monday meetings' | 2013 May 18 18:08:29
- Mugabe admits losing grip | 2013 May 14 10:05:58
- 'Mugabe is under siege,' says Mandaza | 2013 May 13 13:00:17
- Scottish National Party official defends Mugabe's land invasions | 2013 May 12 12:29:40
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 84219 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 45973 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44530 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30281 views
The operators accused police of being reluctant to take action in matters involving the suspected Zanu PF youths, who have taken control of most urban kombi ranks demanding money ranging from $1 to $3 from crews for every trip taken.
The threat to approach Mugabe came after operators with kombis plying the city–Msasa Park route allegedly approached police yesterday morning after a group of youths pounced on their rank at Charge Office and blocked them from ferrying passengers after they refused to pay rank fees to them since Friday last week.
Godfrey Irwa, one of the operators whose trade name is Samuchesa, said they reported to the police early in the morning but no action was taken until late in the afternoon when they returned to Harare Central Police Station and threatened to take the matter up with Mugabe.
"They claim to be Zanu PF supporters and the police are slow in dealing with them, that is why we want to take the matter up to President Mugabe," said Irwa, who led the 12 operators who confronted the police.
"The painful thing is that they just collect money, buy kombis and luxurious cars while we struggle to maintain our fleet."
Harare, according to council estimates, has over 8 000 kombis.
The bouncers who claim to be Zanu PF youths under the guise of Urban Transport Association of Zimbabwe provincial chairperson Fanuel Deera, reportedly collect an average of $5 from every kombi each day.
Although Zanu PF has repeatedly distanced itself from the group, sources claim they work together with the Zanu PF provincial youth leadership and party provincial chairperson Amos Midzi.
One of the drivers at the Msasa Park rank who refused to be named told NewsDay that there was chaos as the Zanu PF youths besieged the rank in the morning and blocked kombis operating at the rank before they brought kombis from other ranks like Kuwadzana, Zengeza and Warren Park to ply the route.
"They demand money from us saying they are Zanu PF youths and that Zanu PF is the party in power and nothing will happen to them, but we have vowed we will not pay. All the chaos was happening in full view of the police who did not act while they block roads and harass kombi crews," he added.
Police spokesperson Inspector James Sabau said they had now engaged all stakeholders to try and get to the bottom of the problem.
"We have met the operators today (yesterday) and we will meet the touts to try and address the problem," Sabau said.
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 330 Views
Own correspondent | 2013 May 20 | 222 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 488 Views
Aljazeera | 2013 May 20 | 329 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 730 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 459 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 574 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 603 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 252 Views
Augustine Hwata | 2013 May 20 | 660 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 1060 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 1305 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 1616 Views
Court Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 820 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 809 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 602 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 20 | 810 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 982 Views
Agencies | 2013 May 20 | 610 Views
Sunday World | 2013 May 20 | 1328 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 1149 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 824 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 1155 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 1131 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 563 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 1632 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 1883 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2317 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 2053 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 3736 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 15 | 1979 Views
Arts Correspondent | 2013 May 14 | 2786 Views
Carter Chapwanya | 2013 May 14 | 2286 Views