Latest News Editor's Choice


News / Africa

Man who posted video about SA's 'contaminated Covid-19 test kits' arrested

by Staff reporter
07 Apr 2020 at 11:04hrs | Views
The man who posted a video relating to Covid-19, claiming testing kits are possibly contaminated, has been arrested.

Police spokesperson Brigadier Mathapelo Peters said the 55-year-old man was expected to appear in court on Tuesday following his arrest on Monday by police from Parow police station in Cape Town.

"The arrest relates to a video disseminated through various social media platforms purporting contamination of Covid-19 test kits," Peters said.

In the Facebook video, which has been widely distributed on social media, a man calls on South Africans to refuse Covid-19 testing.

With a cotton bud stuck up his nose, he claims he is giving South Africans "the most important message you will ever hear in your entire life".

He then claims that the South African government will send 10 000 workers door to door, with the police, to test for Covid-19.

"Do not under any circumstances allow them to test you. There's a possibility that the swabs are contaminated with Covid-19."

The man then claims that, globally, the swabs are used to "spread the virus."

He cites an incident of a Luxembourg-based manufacturer Eurofins, which told UK labs on Monday that deliveries of Covid-19 kits would be delayed as core parts had been contaminated with coronavirus, as "proof".

On his Facebook page, the man also claims that Covid-19 "is a total lie", that 5G cell masts "will kill thousands of South Africans and people around the world with radiation", and that people will be microchipped and the state will monitor their every move.

"The suspect has been charged in terms of Regulation 11(5)(c) of the Disaster Management Act, in relation to 'publishing any statement through any medium including social media with the intention to deceive any other person about measures by the government to address Covid-19'," Peters said.

Source - news24

Subscribe

Email: