Latest News Editor's Choice


News / National

MDC Alliance MP, councillor in court

by Staff reporter
09 Mar 2020 at 05:24hrs | Views
Social media video footage gave away MDC-Alliance councillor for Mabelreign, Denford Ngadziore, for being part of hooligans who participated in an illegal demonstration in the city last month. The footage is being held as an exhibit and is set to be produced in court.

Ngadziore last Friday appeared before magistrate Mrs Rumbidzayi Mugwagwa facing charges of participating in a gathering with intent to promote public violence. He was released on $1 000 bail, coupled with stringent conditions, among them surrendering his passport and to report twice a week at CID Law and Order.

Ngadziore was also ordered not to interfere with witnesses and to continue residing at his current address until the matter is finalised. He will be back in court today. It is the State's case that on February 19 around 5pm, MDC-Alliance youths gathered at Morgan Tsvangirai House (formerly Harvest House) intending to convene a meeting.

The meeting was supposed to be attended by MDC parliamentarians, councillors, provincial and district youth leaders, the court heard.

Around 6pm, the suspected demonstrators began toyi-toying and chanting slogans as they ran along Nelson Mandela Avenue towards Copacabana. It is alleged they were holding placards inscribed with messages denigrating President Mnangagwa.

According to the State, no police clearance was sought before embarking on the demonstration, resulting in the police reaction group dispersing the crowd, which later regrouped at Copacabana.

A team of police officers followed up to Copacabana and used tear gas to disperse them, but the demonstrators started throwing stones and other missiles at the police. Mr Lancelot Mutsokoti appeared for the State, while Mr Jeremiah Bhamu acted on behalf of Ngadziore.

Meanwhile, Harare West legislator Joana Mamombe (MDC-Alliance), who is facing charges of trying to subvert a constitutionally-elected Government after participating in last year's deadly violent demonstrations, last week made another bid for freedom.

In her application for refusal of further remand through her lawyer Mr Bhamu, Mamombe argued that she had been on remand for a long time and the State was making no progress. Mamombe, who is out on bail, appeared before magistrate Mugwagwa. The State led by Mr Mutsokoti applied for further postponement of the matter to March 19 on the basis that the docket was still at the Prosecutor-General's office for consideration.

"No valid reason has been given as to why further remand is sought. The same reason given today has been regurgitated for a long period of time and what comes out clearly is that the State does not know whether to prosecute this matter or not," Mr Bamu said.

In response, Mr Mutsokoti said Mamombe was facing a serious and complex charge such that a delay of one year was justified.

Ruling was reserved. It is the State's case that on January 14, Mamombe held a Press conference at Civic Centre in Marlborough, Harare, where she urged people to overthrow the Government.



Source - the herald

Subscribe

Email: