Latest News Editor's Choice

News / National

Hyena mauls girl to death, attacks father and other men

by Staff reporter
04 Sep 2011 at 11:20hrs | Views
A SIX-YEAR-OLD girl was last week mauled to death while three men were seriously injured after being attacked by a hyena which is terrorising villagers in Buhera district.

After killing the girl last Sunday, the hyena attacked her father who attempted to rescue her before attacking two more men the following day.

Police confirmed the incidents last Friday, saying villagers in Buhera were now living in fear of the marauding carnivore.

Mashonaland East police spokesperson Inspector Bulisani Bhebhe said the girl, Belinda Mzilikazi of Taguma Village, Chief Makumbe in Buhera, was attacked at a stream where she had gone to fetch water.

"Belinda left her mother and proceeded to a nearby stream that was about 200 metres away. While at the stream, she was suddenly attacked by the hyena that is believed to be rabid," he said.

Inspector Bhebhe said Belinda cried out for help and caught the attention of her father, Boyna Mzilikazi, who arrived at the scene where he attempted to rescue her.

Unfortunately, the girl was already dead when Mr Mzilikazi arrived at the scene.

"When the father arrived at the scene, the hyena had already devoured part of the girl's  face," said the police spokeperson.

Inspector Bhebhe said Boyna Mzilikazi fought the hyena with his bare hands for some minutes before two other men arrived to fend off the deadly animal.

"Mzilikazi fought the hyena with his bare hands until two of his neighbours, Godfrey Mukwasi and Passmore Mzilikazi, rushed to help him. They attacked the hyena with sticks until it finally ran away into the bush.

Boyna Mzilikazi was seriously injured and he sustained a deep gush on his right arm," he said.

Inspector Bhebhe said the hyena's reign of terror continued after it attacked two more people the following night.

"On the following day, at around 2am, two adults from the village were attacked by the same hyena about 10 kilometres from the scene of the first attack," he said.

Inspector Bhebhe said the duo, Forget Marufu (22) and Frank Mutema, narrowly escaped death after they fought off the hyena. They, however, sustained injuries on the lower limbs.

Inspector Bhebhe said the injured were treated at Sadza Hospital while officers from Sadza Police Station and personnel from the Department of Veterinary Services attended the scene of the attacks to gather more details.

Inspector Bhebhe urged members of the public not to fight vicious animals but to alert the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority officials.

Join Bulawayo24 Online Community
Source - TH