Latest News Editor's Choice


Entertainment / Celebrity

Discord rocks Mr Ugly contest

by Staff reporter
28 Nov 2017 at 15:40hrs | Views
DISCORD last Sunday rocked Mr Ugly preliminaries at Mtangaz Hide Out in Ruwa after they were called off prematurely due to rains which ended late afternoon.

Thirteen contestants were reportedly left seething after the contest failed to take place as scheduled, event organisers say.

Hilarious male stripper and choreographer David "Apama" Machowa is the brains behind the contest.

And despite all the hype which had been created during the build up to the vent, it turned ugly for merry-makers who were anticipating the contest as some drove all the way to Ruwa.

So sad was the premature cancelling of the pageant where top performers Suluman Chimbetu and Alick Macheso failed to perform despite being paid their dues.

"It started raining in the morning and it appears mdara Mtangaz panicked and called off the preliminaries.

"I tried to sweet talk him to change his mind but he insisted that we cancel the pageant after the tent which was pitched at the venue was destroyed by the heavy downpour," said Apama.

The popular dancer-cum-comedian said some of the contestants were left seething after it dawned they would not participate in the contest.

"We had a total of 13 contestants as after as Mutare, Guruve, Zvishavane, Murewa, Masvingo and Harare who were ready for the contest.

"We explained to them but some of them were disappointed as they were vying for honours with previous winner Willam Masvinu being the most vocal among the participants."

Following the cancellation, Apama said they the event has been moved to December 3 where Jah Prayzah is set to perform.

"As for Sulu and Macheso, they were paid flat fees and we are going to map a wayforward.

"I can assure merry-makers that there won't be further changes after we moved them to Decemebr 3 at the same venue," added Apama.

Meanwhile, Macheso and Sulu were both disappointed for the 'discord' which rocked Mtangaz following the cancellation of the show.

"We have since apologised for the fans for the aborted show and they should bear with us since it was beyond our control.

"We were given our performance fees and we did our part by fulfilling the show while the event organisers could have done better.

'They are supposed to put their house in order and it's not good for us to cancel shows sicne fans will end up blaming us,"said Orchestra Mberikwazvo spokesperson Tichie Makahamadze.

Similar sentiments were echoed by Sulu who ended up mixing with fans at Mtangaz 2 along Mutare Road.

"The show has been cancelled but the weather had changed.

"Fans are still driving from Harare and it's sad that the show could not take place, a sad development which could have been easily addressed and rectified.

"We have never short-changed fans and we don't wish to short change them in future," he said.

Unconfirmed reports say the preliminaries are likely to held in the capital around midweek as they build up to the finals to be held on December 3.

Join Bulawayo24 Online Community
Source - hmetro

Subscribe

Email: