Latest News Editor's Choice


News / Education

Jonathan Moyo reverses closure of private colleges

by Staff reporter
08 Aug 2017 at 08:17hrs | Views
THE Government has described as null and void the immediate closure of 251 private and independent training institutions over non-compliance with operational and registration statutes, conceding that it erred in flighting an advert to that effect.

On Sunday, the Ministry of Higher and Tertiary Education, Science and Technology Development's TVET Quality Assurance Standards Compliance Inspectorate issued a press statement declaring that 251 colleges and private institutions had been shut down for operating illegally.

Dominican Convent High School and Petra High School in Bulawayo are among the institutions that were deemed to be operating illegally.

According to the statement, they are offering certificates and diplomas without registering with the higher and tertiary education ministry.

In a statement yesterday, the Minister of Higher and Tertiary Education, Science and Technology Development, Professor Jonathan Moyo, said it was not the Ministry's position to close the private colleges.

He apologised to the implicated institutions.

"The Ministry of Higher and Tertiary Education, Science and Technology Development wishes to advise affected institutions and the public that the advert was irregularly flighted without proper authorisation and is thus null and void. Any inconvenience to bona fide institutions is regretted," said Prof Moyo.

He said his Ministry was taking necessary steps to ensure the colleges that were violating the law are brought to book.

"Procedural steps are being taken to deal with those institutions that are operating illegally or those that have not regularised their programmes in terms of the law," Prof Moyo said.

He also distanced his Ministry from previous comments by the then Ministry's Permanent Secretary Dr Washington Mbizvo where he was quoted as saying closing of unregistered institutions was safeguarding the country's education standards.

"Meanwhile, the Ministry also wishes to advise that comments attributed to Dr Washington Mbizvo in the media reportage of the matter do not reflect the position of the Ministry," said Prof Moyo.

Some parents with children in the prestigious schools were already panicking as the alleged closure spelt a bleak future for their children.

Some of them called The Chronicle newsroom to seek clarification on the matter.

Join Bulawayo24 Online Community
Source - chronicle

Subscribe

Email: