Latest News Editor's Choice

News / National

Lupane State University campus radio goes on air

by Staff reporter
26 Sep 2022 at 05:55hrs | Views
LUPANE State University (LSU)'s campus radio station is now on air and broadcasting from its base in the Matabeleland North provincial capital with the institution set to receive the outstanding studio equipment to go full throttle.

For now, the radio station, which is operating from the university's Agricultural Sciences Faculty, has confined itself to only playing music.

LSU is 5th higher learning institution to be granted licence by the Broadcasting Authority of Zimbabwe (BAZ) after the National University of Science and Technology (Nust), Midlands State University (MSU), University of Zimbabwe (UZ), the Harare Polytechnic and the Great Zimbabwe University (GZU).

The radio station is largely an urban contemporary edutainment station that mainly caters for the needs of students mostly aged between 18 and 30 years as well as audiences from the locality. At the moment, the campus radio station broadcasts from 8am to 3pm.

Once fully operational, 60 percent of the programming will be music shows featuring urban contemporary with the remaining 40 percent reserved for current affairs including social and educational issues based on its listeners' needs.

The station will create an opportunity for students pursuing media studies and entertainment related programme to utilise the platform for practical work.

LSU marketing and communications director Mr Zwelithini Dlamini said the installation of the outstanding equipment and works will enable the university to do full packaged programming.

"The radio station is technically on air, meaning the broadcasting equipment which enables the radio to be on air has been installed. We are now waiting for the studio equipment and completion of the partitioning of the studio," he said.

"The installation of the outstanding equipment including the completion of works will enable us to do our programming and then we go full throttle on air. In the meantime, we occupy our studio time by playing music."

A total of 14 community radio stations and seven campus radio stations were licensed in line with the Government thrust under the Second Republic to open the media space to different players. It is part of President Mnangagwa's drive to give everyone a voice as a way of guaranteeing press freedom.

The Ministry also managed to repeal the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act (AIPPA) and replaced it with the more friendly Freedom of Information Act.

The licensed community radio stations include Radio Bukalanga (Pvt) Ltd (Bulilima), Matobo Community Radio Trust (Maphisa-Mangwe Brunapeg), Twasumbuka Community Radio Trust (Binga, Kamativi, Siabuwa), Mbembesi Development Trust trading as Ingqanga FM, Ntepe Community Radio Trust, Shashe Community Radio Broadcasting Association which covers Beitbridge and Shashe and Lyeja-Nyayi Development Trust that covers Hwange and Victoria Falls.

Conscious of the need to empower local communities through information during dissemination, the Second Republic has set the deepening and broadening of access to information as one of its key deliverables.

The licensing of more community radio stations in Zimbabwe dovetails with the Government's policy of devolution aimed at empowering local communities in deciding development priorities in their localities.

In line with the devolution policy, community radio stations give a voice to people who lack access to mainstream media, expedite the process of informing them and assist in the free flow of information and uphold creative growth and democratic spirit at the community level.

The devolution policy is anchored on the values and principles that guarantees equitable sharing of local and national resources including enhancing participation of local communities in decision making processes.

As the nation moves towards Vision 2030, citizen participation and access to information remain important mainstays in achieving that vision of an upper middle-income economy.

According to UNESCO, radio can shape a society's experience of diversity and serve diverse communities offering a wide variety of programmes.

Source - The Chronicle