Latest News Editor's Choice

News / National

Nkulumane boy dies in house fire

by Staff reporter
05 Jun 2024 at 02:09hrs | Views
An eight-year-old boy, Blessing Muzenda, a Grade Three student at Mgoqo Primary School in Bulawayo's Nkulumane suburb, tragically died on Monday night after a house fire. The incident occurred around 11 PM while Blessing was alone at home; his father was out running errands, according to witnesses.

When the Chronicle news crew visited the house on Tuesday morning, a somber atmosphere pervaded the scene as residents struggled to comprehend the tragedy. The boy's father, visibly traumatized, was wrapped in a blanket and could barely speak.

Neighbor Ms. Netsai Manyame recounted that the fire broke out just after 11 PM following power restoration after load shedding. She initially thought the cracking sounds were from thieves but soon saw flames. Ms. Manyame alerted her son and other residents, who tried to extinguish the fire. Only after the flames were put out did they realize a child was inside.

The fire is suspected to have been caused by an electrical fault. Mrs. Mildred Sivenga, a local caretaker, described the traumatic scene, noting that the boy had covered himself with a blanket, which may have protected most of his body from burns, though he suffered a burn on his knee.

Bulawayo chief fire officer Mr. Mhlangano Moyo indicated that the fire might have been caused by gas lighting. He noted that preliminary investigations suggest the boy could have died from smoke inhalation. Despite neighbors' efforts, they could not rescue him in time.

Mr. Moyo urged guardians not to leave minor children unattended to prevent such tragedies. As the country faces winter, authorities have advised the public to be vigilant as fire incidents tend to increase during this season.

Source - the chronicle