Latest News Editor's Choice

Entertainment / Music

1ns and 2s with DJ-Sticha - Registering with Samro (Southern African Music Rights Organization)

by DJ-Sticha
05 Feb 2016 at 09:07hrs | Views
People enjoy YOUR song during weekends. YOUR music gets played all over. The clubs, DJ's and pubs MAKE THEIR MONEY, but do YOU earn a cent? Are YOU registered with SAMRO or ZIMURA to collect fees from music users; clubs, pubs, DJ's, on YOUR behalf? If you are not doing music for charity YOU MUST first copyright it and join… SAMRO,ZIMURA or any other music rights association in your country.

How and why kwamele ngijoyine you ask?, blomma nam ke ngizokubekela why and how.


Before registering with SAMRO, one has to understand the music rights which the organization protects. There are three music rights which are covered; Performing Rights, Mechanical Rights and Needle-time Rights

These rights are royalties paid to the owners of the original musical work. The owners who earn these royalties are studio producers, song writers, composers, lyricists or music publishers. They get their royalties when the original work is performed or played in public; when the music is played on radio stations, television, or public events.

When music is copied to computer hard drives, videos, tapes, CD'S, DVDs, MP3s or as cell-phone ringtones, Mechanical Rights royalties are given to music publishers, song writers, producers, lyricists or composers. These rights ensure creators get their money when their music is bought e.g. when music is legally downloaded from the internet or when a song is bought as a cell-phone ringtone from network providers.

These rights protect recording artists; singers, backing vocalists and studio producers. The mentioned could have assisted with recording the music, but may have not produced, composed or written the song. They earn royalties when the song is played in public e.g. when the song is played on radio stations.

NB* To get all the benefits offered by SAMRO besides the collecting of fees a music creator or publisher has to be a member.


A certified ID copy or if the music owned by a company, copies of relevant agreements, founding statements and memorandum or articles of association.

Download and complete the Membership Application form here.

In this form a composer (producer) or author (song writer) will fill-in their personal details (full name and surname, pseudonym, ID / passport number), contact details and banking details.

Download and complete the Notification of Works form here.

This is where original musical work is claimed by music creators or publishers. Song titles, alternative titles, duration, performing artists names and sharing of percentages are stated.

Download and complete the Deed of Assignment form here.

That's all you need naw' amanamba and web addresses if udinga more info,I'll be more than happy to assist

The above can be sent or faxed to:
P.O Box 31609

Fax: +27(0)86 682 0270

All the physical forms can be found at SAMRO's head office:
20 De Korte Street

For any queries regarding the application process contact SAMRO:

Hot-line: +27(0)80 024 7247 (toll-free from Telkom landlines and 8ta)

Switchboard: +27(0) 11 712 8000

Email Address –

Information gathered by:

Masabelane ngolwazi, masikhulisane emculweni.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, take care of yourself and be safe.

Mii thatha:

Source - DJ-Sticha