Latest News Editor's Choice

News / National

Soldiers robbed

by Staff reporter
22 Oct 2018 at 10:02hrs | Views
DYNAMOS captain Marshall Machazane scored a controversial injury time winner to help his side edge Black Rhinos 2-1 at Rufaro yesterday and increase their chances of surviving relegation.

DeMbare, who were desperate for the win, remain 11th on the standings.

Video evidence proved Machazane used his hands to guide an Emmanuel Mandiranga corner kick past the goalkeeper.

Rhinos players charged towards the assistant referee who had initially raised his flag before putting it down after referee Josiah Masimira pointed to the centre.

Their coach Herbert Maruwa had to intervene and ordered them to continue with the match as they wanted to walk out.

They, however, refused to kick the ball and later kicked it to the stands.

After the referee blew the final whistle, they charged towards him and again Maruwa had intervene as one of his players poked the referee as police intervened with dogs to lead the officials to safety.

Chauya Chipembere canceled a DeMbare first half goal from a set piece just outside the box nine minutes to full time.

The Rhinos coach expressed his anger in post-match interview saying the officiating reflects a 'sad situation' for local football.

Maruwa said Machazane scored with both hands but the referee decided to let the goal stand.

"It was a very good game from the boys but someone ended up deciding the game . . . I'm very (very) sad

"Sometimes these are things we can't control but it's very (very) sad. I don't know where are we going (sic) with our football in Zimbabwe," said Maruwa.

Maruwa said the DeMbare captain used his two hands to grab the winner but the referee chose to ignore.

"Someone can leave such a thing, I don't normally complain to the referee but the way he did, he (Machazane) used two hands not one, two hands to score then someone just ignored for the sake of maybe it's a big club. We are not going anywhere.

He also revealed what he told the referee when he rushed to him after the final whistle.

"I was trying to protect him, and I was telling him what he did is not good for our football and to stop my boys from attacking him," said Maruwa.

Dynamos coach Lloyd Chigove was, however, happy with the result and said he leaves such decisions to the referees.

"Well, from where I was seated I thought he bundled the ball across the line, probably Rhinos saw it differently I cannot comment and I think that is for the referee to decide.

". . . People might want to complain but usually when you concede very late in the game it leaves a bitter taste," he said.
He rather praised his charges for the fighting spirit saying they need such character at a time they are fighting relegation.

"I think it reflects the character of the team at this current moment, they are willing to fight till the end. "They could have been satisfied with a point but at the death, we threw all our men forward into the box and got the winner. That is a sign of character indeed, especially at this time when we are in murky waters," he said.

"Coming into this match we had a depleted squad, we had to make do and introduce youngster Tatenda Muringani who had not tasted Premier League football all for the past two seasons and you still manage to play against a tricky Rhinos, they are no pushovers, they have doing very well. If we work well with these boys and get the combinations right, we can match anyone in the league," he added.

Source - hmetro
More on: #Soldiers, #Robbed, #Army