Latest News Editor's Choice


Sports / Soccer

Peter Ndlovu snubs Bosso and signs for Dynamos

by Byo24
01 Jan 2011 at 00:58hrs | Views
Dynamos FC yesterday revealed that they would be including legendary former Warriors skipper Peter Ndlovu in their Champions League squad for the 2011 campaign.

Ndlovu, the most decorated Warriors captain, who retired from the senior team with 100 caps, had indicated that he would have one last dance with domestic game this year.

The former Bosso, Coventry, Sheffield United, Birmingham City and Mamelodi Sundowns striker had intimated that he would finish his illustrious career by featuring for his boyhood club Highlanders in the Premiership. But it was Bosso's biggest rivals Dynamos who brewed a major New Year's day surprise by revealing that they register Ndlovu on Monday as an addition to the list they submitted to the Confederation of African Football yesterday.

Dynamos yesterday sent 23 names to Caf but that squad is terribly short of strikers with Evans Gwekwerere the only natural forward on the list.

This has prompted the DeMbare executive to resolve to finalise the deals to bring on board Ndlovu and Shooting Stars' national Under-20 skipper Simbarashe Sithole and pay a fine of no less than US$500 to Caf for late registration.

Dynamos chairman Farai Munetsi last night confirmed the Ndlovu deal and insisted they needed the former Warriors captain to bring his experience to their squad which includes nine Champions League rookies.

Munetsi revealed that his side were desperate for strikers and also acknowledged that the list they had sent to Caf had a lightweight attack that could struggle to mount a strong challenge for honours in the Champions League.

The DeMbare boss said it was against this background that they had resolved to lure Ndlovu and entice him to move to the capital.

Ndlovu has been back at his base in Bulawayo since quitting the game in South Africa.

"We are really desperate for strikers and it appears we just do not have enough strikers in the country at the moment. So we have left slots that we would want to fill with strikers and Peter is coming in on Monday so that we can finalise the deal to have him in our squad.

"We hope his experience can rub onto the youngsters that we have in the team. His profile in our football is also undoubted and it is like bringing David Beckham on board where apart from the football you would also have scored from a commercial perspective . . . Peter is a brand,'' Munetsi said.

Ndlovu's handlers ' Twalumba Holdings ' are also understood to have agreed in principle on the move to have the Warriors legend feature for Dynamos in what would be his swan song season.
Munetsi also said they were hoping to use this weekend to seal a deal with Shooting Stars for the services Sithole while coach Lloyd Mutasa and his technical team were still assessing two strikers who recently arrived from Zambia.

But as has often been the case with Dynamos, were by late yesterday afternoon still struggling to compile their list in time for the Caf deadline.

Club secretary-general Oliver Manyau, committee member Nyika Chifamba, coach Mutasa and assistant coach Masimba Dinyero held meetings with different players at a Harare hotel in a bid to lure them to join DeMbare.

Some of them like striker Edmore Chitato did not agree terms with DeMbare before the Kiglon forward went to secure deal to join champions Motor Action.

Manyau and his negotiating team also had discussions with the Black Mambas pair of winger Richard Mteki and Isaac Madziva and tried in vain to secure CAPS United's Clive Kawinga and stocky Eagles forward Malvern Dumbura.

Although they spent the better part of yesterday talking to new players, Dynamos also closed the door on the DeMbare careers of Eddie Mashiri, Wonder Sithole and Nicholas Arufandika, at least for now.
There were no places too for the pair of Leo Kurauzvione and Trymore Mtisi who had been training with Dynamos towards the end of last season with a view to rejoin the club this year.

Former Lancashire Steel defender Brighton Tuwaya is also not on the list that was registered yesterday.

Munetsi said Wonder Sithole, scorer of the winner against Algeria's Setif Entette in Dynamos' only victory of Champions League the mini-league phase last year had opted to join the Mighty Bulls but the midfielder is conspicuous by his absence on the Motor Action list.

"Tuwaya is leaving for Costa Do Sol in Mozambique, Wonder is joining Motor Action but the for likes of Mashiri and Arifandika I am not sure at the moment. We could not take them on because our squad has too many midfielders and defenders but short on strikers,'' Munetsi said.

Mutasa also brought with him five players from the club he was coaching ' Kiglon ' who he hopes will strengthen Dynamos.

These are defenders Thomas Magorimbo, Dominic Benati and Gift Bello and midfielder Devon Chafa and Denver Mukamba. Dynamos have for the second season also registered midfielder Farai Vimisai who only featured for them in the Champions League last season but sat out the Premiership programme because of a dispute between his club Hwange and DeMbare.

While desperation characterised the manner in which Dynamos went about their registration, there was a refreshing measure of tranquil in the Mighty Bulls camp with Motor Action having finalised their list by 4pm yesterday.

Motor Action made eight additions to the side that brought them their maiden Premiership title in the 23-man squad they submitted to Caf.

Club director Eric Rosen said they managed to secure 70 percent of the players who had been recommended by their technical department.

The Mighty Bulls management were still hopeful of securing two other players to take their initial squad to 25.

Motor Action yesterday swooped on three players with Champions League experience when they got the signatures of Ocean Mushure, Tawanda Nyamandwe and Chitato who were in Africa with Monomotapa in 2009.

They were also joined by hard tackling defender Godfrey Moyo from relegated Lengthens, midfielder Thembani Masuku from Shooting Stars and former Kiglon striker Martin Vengesayi.

Moyo also had a taste of the African safari this year when he featured in the Confederation Cup tournament with Lengthens although they were eliminated in the first round.

But Rosen expressed delight with the newly assembled squad, which also welcomed national team trialist Maxwell Nyamupangedengu to beef up the goalkeepers' department where veteran Marlon Jani was being assisted by Ronald Mudimu.

"We had to do with only 15 players last season and people couldn't notice that although we still went on to win the title.

"The most important thing is that we managed to keep that squad intact and what we needed to do was just to add to what we already have.

"I am happy we got four new strikers that we needed. We didn't have enough strikers last season although we may have scored the most goals than any other team.

"Besides Enasio Perezo we didn't have another natural striker and if you look at it carefully our goals came from different players mostly midfielders. "We ended up playing midfielder Charles Sibanda in a more attacking role to complement the strikeforce.

"Overally the other departments are well balanced although we are still keen on two more players whom we are still negotiating with.

"If it happens that we get them before our first game we are ready to pay the extra fees to Caf to have them registered and hopefully if we make the mini-league phase, we will add more players and probably make them 30," said Rosen.

The Mighty Bulls, who are taking part in the Champions League for the first time, will face unknown entities Cnaps from Madagascar in the preliminary round at the end of the month.

Rosen said the club would regroup next Tuesday to begin their preparations for the preliminary round first leg scheduled for the weekend of January 28-30.
Motor Action will be at home first in that encounter.

Should the Mighty Bulls progress from the preliminaries they could meet fading giants and 1998 champions Asec Mimosas of Cote d'Ivoire who are also kicking off their campaign in the preliminary round with Cansando of Mauritania later this month.

"We had planned to go to Kariba for a training camp but because of limited time it's no longer possible. So we will have to make the most of our practice here.

"Hopefully we will have one or two friendly matches to test our readiness before our first game," said Rosen.

Champions League squads:

Dynamos: Washington Arubi, Knowledge Jimu, Munyaradzi Diya, David Kutyauripo, Thomas Magorimbo, Kumbulani Banda, Augustine Mbara, Dominic Benati, Guthrie Zhokinyi, George Magariro, Gift Bello, Dragan Shuwa, Milton Makopa, Timire Mamvura, Devon Chafa, Benjamin Marere, Farai Vimisayi, Denver Mukamba, Murape Murape, Archieford Gutu, Desmond Maringwa, Thabani Kamusoko, Evans Gwekwerere,

Motor Action: Marlon Jani, Ronald Mudimu, Maxwell Nyamupangedengu, Passmore Bernard, Bekhimpilo Ncube, Edward Tembo, Enasio Perezo, Isaac Masame, Masimba Mambare, Milton Ncube, Rueben Machaya, Sam Mutenheri, Themba Ndlovu, William Kupera, Charles Sibanda, Martin Vengesai, Thembani Masuku, Godfrey Moyo, Edmore Chitato, Kudakwashe Musharu, Tawanda Nyamandwe, Ocean Mushure.

Source - Byo24 sports

Subscribe

Email: