Latest News Editor's Choice


News / National

'Demolition of tuckshops inevitable'

by Staff reporter
02 Mar 2021 at 06:37hrs | Views
Harare City Council has said the scheduled demolitions of illegal tuckshops across the city will continue with the owners currently being given ample time to put their house in order.

In an interview yesterday, city spokesperson Mr Michael Chideme said the demolitions will continue.

"We are still giving the tuckshop owners time to organise removal of their structure," he said.

This comes as residents have been fretting over a one week ultimatum issued by the local authority for illegal tuckshop owners to stop operating or risk having their tuckshops demolished.

The ultimatum, which lapsed last week Thursday, was issued after the realisation that the illegal tuckshops were defying the law by operating during the level four lockdown imposed by Government.

"Most of the suburbs that are coming up are far away from major shops and as such residents rely on tuckshops for their daily provisions and in such cases council should not just move in to destroy tuck shops without providing an alternative," said one resident.

Source - the herald

Subscribe

Email: