Latest News Editor's Choice

News / Local

'Pool of death' claims another victim

by Auxilia Katongomara
04 Apr 2016 at 06:50hrs | Views
THE Enkwalini "pool of death" in Bulawayo's Entumbane suburb has claimed another victim after the body of a man was found floating in the pool in a suspected case of suicide.

Victor Sibanda, 18, of Entumbane joins dozens of residents whose bodies have been found floating in the pool in recent years. His death comes barely two weeks after a man committed suicide by throwing himself into the pool.

Passersby stumbled on Sibanda's body on Friday morning. Sources told The Chronicle Sibanda had been missing since March 28.

The sources said Sibanda left home after his mother allegedly beat him up for causing dents on her boyfriend's car. "He was in a heated altercation with his mother before he left home. There's a pile of stones that's outside the yard and his mother has on several occasions told him to remove them.

"On the day he left home, she beat him up after her boyfriend's car was scratched by the stones and he never came back home," said the relative.

The relative said the mother, who is a security guard, used a baton stick to beat him. Efforts to get a comment from the family were fruitless as the funeral wake was moved from their Entumbane home to a place residents said they were unaware of.

The residents, however, said Sibanda would be buried today. Residents who stay close to the pool said they feared that the pool had become "the easiest place for people to kill themselves".

"When one feels they're tired of life they just go to Enkwalini where they throw themselves into the pool, it's not good for our children.

"They are exposed to seeing dead people which is taboo in our culture," said Gogo MaDube.

Another resident, Mkhokheli Dube, said council should speed up the fencing process and suggested that a neighbourhood watch committee to guard the pool should be set up.

Two weeks ago, a man from Njube suburb died after he allegedly threw himself into Enkwalini "pool of death". Dalisa Ntele allegedly told his family and neighbours that they were seeing him for the last time, before walking to the pool to end his life.

Witnesses said he sat at the edge of the pool for a long time sniffing snuff. Suspicious fishermen quizzed him about his intentions but he told them to stay away from him and as they were about 50 metres from the pool, he threw himself into the water.

Residents claimed that the deep pit in which water has collected, was left by Davies Granite which extracted quarry stones from it. The company refused to take responsibility for covering up the pit last week.

The Bulawayo City Council has said it is considering installing a perimeter fence at the pool to prevent residents accessing the area.

Source - chronicle