Latest News Editor's Choice

News / National

Unrepentant female fraudster caged

by Simbarashe Sithole/Lloyd Rabaya
15 Feb 2021 at 20:56hrs | Views
An unrepentant Bindura fraudster Mary Matseka (35) has been sentenced to 7 years in jail by a Bindura magistrate for five counts of fraud.

Matseka who was previously convicted and released on presidential amnesty pleaded guilty to all the charges before magistrate Tendai  Chifamba.

Prosecutor Sheilla Kudzai Maribha told the court that in June last year the first complainant Morestead Ruwaze, who is a headmaster at Zengeza Main Primary School was introduced to Matseka by his family friends Edmore Shonhiwa and Winkson Bheulani. 

Matseka misrepresented herself to have a relative who worked at Karanda Hospital and was in a position to enroll the complainant's daughter, Mitchell Ruwaze to train as a Nurse. 

Matseka told the complainant that the first thing is to pay administration fees amounting to US$500, which the complainant did through Tairevei Chabayanzara and Mitchell Ruwaze. 

Matseka confirmed to have received the full amount but later demanded another US$150, which the complainant complied. 

The complainant kept on enquiring from the now convict regarding the progress and she started giving various excuses. 

Using the same strategy, Matsake misrepresented herself to Edmore Shonhiwa (47) of Chipadze, Bindura from whom she prejudiced an amount of US$314. 

In two other counts, Matsake prejudiced her landlady Tairevei Chabayanzara (47), of Plot 1, Chiwaridza farm in Bindura. 

In the last count, on November 30 last year, Matsake misrepresented herself to Ripisai Wilbert Manyati (65) of Gleckwood Avenue, Bindura and told him that she was employed by GOAL International and was in capacity to employ workers for the company after paying administration fees of US$350 per person. 

The complainant acted upon the misrepresentation and asked if she could make a plan for Priviledge and Blessmore Manyati, as well as Tawanda Huchu and Prince Mukungurutse. 

From last year December 23 to January 7, Ripisai paid a total amount of US$1 300 in three instalments and Matsake signed the payment vouchers. 

Ripisai kept on enquiring on the progress and Matsake kept on giving false statements up to the time of her arrest last Thursday.

Source - Byo24news