Latest News Editor's Choice


News / National

Harare city expands crackdown

by Staff reporter
14 hrs ago | Views
The City of Harare is set to broaden its campaign against illegal businesses in the capital, following the closure of over 500 establishments in the central business district (CBD). The initiative, part of sweeping measures to enforce municipal by-laws and recover outstanding debts, has now been extended to industrial and commercial areas.

Launched on July 28 under the banner of Operation CBD Order Restoration, the operation initially focused on ensuring compliance with fire safety standards, building permits, business licences, and rates payment in the CBD. Acting town clerk Phakamile Mabhena Moyo announced that the next phase, covering heavy and light industrial areas and commercial service centres, would commence on September 1, targeting full compliance by the end of the month.

"Operation Order Restoration will now be spread to the industrial areas and commercial service centres effective 1st of September 2025," Moyo said. "The city is taking appropriate remedial action to recover its debts, while enforcing compliance with minimum service delivery standards as per President's Call to Action — No Compromise to Service Delivery."

Since the launch, municipal officials have conducted unannounced inspections, issuing closure orders to businesses operating without valid licences, fire compliance certificates, building permits, or those with outstanding municipal bills. The operation has led to the issuance of 1,202 new and renewed business licences, 536 fire compliance certificates, and 11 certificates of occupation for buildings previously in violation of model building by-laws. Revenue collection has reportedly increased by 21 percent.

Despite the crackdown, residents have expressed scepticism over the city's ongoing 2026 pre-budget consultation meetings. Critics argue that past consultations have failed to influence the city's budgetary decisions, rendering the process largely symbolic. Precious Shumba, director of the Harare Residents Trust, urged residents to participate but stressed the importance of meaningful engagement.

"They need to take seriously voices raised by the residents and fight financial leakages by putting a proper billing system in place," Shumba said. "Despite all this, we are urging residents to attend these meetings in their numbers and raise their concerns, although I know previous consultations have been meaningless because Harare City Council failed to implement any of the solutions we offered."

Reuben Akili, leader of the Combined Harare Residents Association, echoed these concerns, pointing to recurring governance failures and inefficiencies in revenue collection. "We are ready for the budget consultations, but we have one serious issue: even when we raise issues, we continue to see the same challenges," he said. "We have heard from our mayor, Jacob Mafume, that we have lost millions of dollars due to leakages because we don't have a proper billing system."

Observers note that the success of the expanded crackdown and the upcoming budget consultations will be closely watched, as they may determine whether the city's governance and service delivery improve or if public distrust will continue to deepen.

Source - newsday