News / National
Bulawayo teen sentenced over fatal Luveve road crash
5 hrs ago | Views

A 19-year-old Bulawayo man, Melusi Nkomo, has been sentenced to an additional 24 months in prison following a fatal road accident that claimed the life of a Zimpapers staff member earlier this month.
Nkomo, of Nketa 6 suburb, pleaded guilty to culpable homicide and driving without a valid licence when he appeared before Western Commonage magistrate Archie Wochiwunga, who handed down the sentence.
Two weeks prior, Nkomo and his accomplice, Shelton Dube (19) of Nkulumane suburb, were each sentenced to six months for stealing the vehicle involved in the crash, with half of that term suspended, leaving them to serve an effective three months.
For culpable homicide, Nkomo was sentenced to 24 months, with 12 months suspended for five years on condition he does not commit a similar offence. For driving without a licence, he received a concurrent two-month sentence, meaning he will serve an effective one year and five months in jail.
Prosecutor Audrey Kufandikanwe told the court that the incident occurred on August 3, 2025, around 3:30am, when Nkomo was driving a Toyota Hilux (registration MH41YVGP) west along Luveve Road with eight passengers. Near Marondera Poly Clinic, he veered into oncoming traffic and collided head-on with a motorcycle ridden by Chronicle staffer Silas Bhunu, who died on the spot.
No passengers in Nkomo's vehicle were injured. Bhunu's body was taken to United Bulawayo Hospitals mortuary, while the vehicles were sent to the Vehicle Inspection Department for assessment.
Kufandikanwe emphasised that Nkomo was driving without a valid licence at the time of the accident, contributing to the fatal collision.
Nkomo, of Nketa 6 suburb, pleaded guilty to culpable homicide and driving without a valid licence when he appeared before Western Commonage magistrate Archie Wochiwunga, who handed down the sentence.
Two weeks prior, Nkomo and his accomplice, Shelton Dube (19) of Nkulumane suburb, were each sentenced to six months for stealing the vehicle involved in the crash, with half of that term suspended, leaving them to serve an effective three months.
Prosecutor Audrey Kufandikanwe told the court that the incident occurred on August 3, 2025, around 3:30am, when Nkomo was driving a Toyota Hilux (registration MH41YVGP) west along Luveve Road with eight passengers. Near Marondera Poly Clinic, he veered into oncoming traffic and collided head-on with a motorcycle ridden by Chronicle staffer Silas Bhunu, who died on the spot.
No passengers in Nkomo's vehicle were injured. Bhunu's body was taken to United Bulawayo Hospitals mortuary, while the vehicles were sent to the Vehicle Inspection Department for assessment.
Kufandikanwe emphasised that Nkomo was driving without a valid licence at the time of the accident, contributing to the fatal collision.
Source - The Chronicle