Latest News Editor's Choice

News / National

Kasukuwere's brother spends weekend in jail

by Staff reporter
28 Jan 2019 at 10:33hrs | Views
FORMER Zanu-PF Mashonaland Central provincial chairperson and a key member of the infamous G40 cabal, Itai Dickson Mafios, spent the weekend in prison after he was remanded in custody last week on charges of inciting people in Bindura to join in the violent protests that rocked the country early this month.

Mafios (52) appeared before Bindura provincial magistrate Mrs Vongai Muchuchuti-Guuriro on Thursday last week facing charges of incitement to cause public violence.

Mrs Muchuchuti-Guuriro remanded him in custody to today for trial. Public prosecutor Mr Clement Kuwanda told the court that on January 15 at around 4pm, Mafios went to Chiwaridzo Shopping Centre in Bindura driving a silver-grey Toyota Prado.

He allegedly approached people who were sitting on a shop veranda drinking beer and urged them to join the violent protests.

"You are seated and not doing what others are doing in Harare of burning things, why? Go ahead with the shutdown, Mnangagwa took the Presidency by force using soldiers," he is alleged to have said.

Meanwhile, 12 other protesters who were arrested in Mvurwi during the violent protests were remanded in custody to today for trial. It is alleged that on January 15, around 7am, the accused met at Stardic service station in Mvurwi. They broke into song, beating drums and dancing.

This allegedly drew the attention of other Mvurwi residents who joined in. It is alleged that the group of about 150 people marched towards Rwizi service station and later to the Mvurwi-Guruve Road where they blocked the road with stones and worn-out tyres.

The court heard that they blocked the intersection of Dawson Road and Burminghan Avenue using the wreckage of a Mercedes Benz. It is alleged that they also blocked the Harare-Mvurwi Road and Mvurwi-Mutorashanga Road using council refuse bins, drainage pipes, electricity poles, stones and logs.

They allegedly burnt tyres in the middle of the road, obstructing free movement of people and threatened to set vehicles passing by on fire.

Source - the herald