Latest News Editor's Choice

News / National

1 August killings: I invited the army says police boss Matanga

by Mandla Ndlovu
12 Nov 2018 at 14:57hrs | Views

Police Commissioner-General Godwin Matanga has detailed how the army got involved in the 1 August post-election violence that left 6 civilians dead after been gunned down by members of the Zimbabwe Defense Forces. CG Matanga said because of the situation, there was no time to follow the due process in deploying the army.

He was testifying in front of the Kgalema Motlanthe led Commission of Inquiry.
"When the situation had gone out of hand, I alerted  my then Minister Dr. Obert Mpofu that there was no time to meet and discuss the situation  but it was time for action. My minister then invited assistance from his counterpart from the Ministry of Defense Vice President Constantino Chiwenga and within a short space of time consultations were made. My minister phoned back and said  permission to invite members of the Zimbabwe Defense Forces had ben granted, He , the Minister,asked me to get in touch with the Commander ZDF Philip Valerio Sibanda who in turn advised me to directly discuss the nitty gritties of the operation with the Commander Zimbabwe National Army Lieutenant-General Edzayi Chakanyuka Chimonyo." Mastanga said.

"I talked with the Commander ZNA that the normal process was not going to be followed because there was no time for that."

The Commission then asked Matanga,"According to procedure it was supposed to be the regulatory authority as stated by Chief superintendent‚ Albert Ncube that he was the one supposed to command the army to go , was it then you who sent the army out or   who commanded it  rather?"

CG matanga was quick to say, "Mr Chairman I cannot run away from the fact its me. The deployment of the Army was to make sure that these demonstrators do not run over the Rainbow Towers which accommodated the Elections  Command Centre, secondly the ZANU PF HQ which normally houses our ministers, the ZEC offices themselves where Justice Priscilla  Chigumba was accommodated. it was clear that from the beginning that I was not going to be sure about what was gpoing to happen on the way."

The Inquest continues with military commanders expected on Monday and Tuesday.

Source - Byo24News