News / National
Mugabe's son charged with attempted murder in SA
19 Feb 2026 at 16:35hrs |
0 Views
Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe, the youngest son of the late former Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe, was arrested in Hyde Park, Johannesburg, on Thursday, facing charges of attempted murder after allegedly shooting his 23-year-old gardener. Police responded to reports of gunfire at his residence and found the victim with a critical gunshot wound. He was rushed to hospital for treatment.
Mugabe, 28, and another man, 33, were taken into custody. Gauteng police spokesperson Dimakatso Nevhuhulwi said a spent cartridge was recovered at the scene and a dog unit is assisting in locating the firearm used in the shooting. Nevhuhulwi noted the altercation stemmed from the gardener not showing up for work, which escalated into the shooting.
Bellarmine Mugabe has a history of legal issues. Last year in Zimbabwe, he was arrested twice - once for disorderly conduct at a police roadblock and another time for allegedly leading armed men to assault illegal gold panners in Mazowe. His brother, Robert Jr., has also faced multiple arrests in South Africa for assault, drug possession, and malicious damage to property.
Mugabe, 28, and another man, 33, were taken into custody. Gauteng police spokesperson Dimakatso Nevhuhulwi said a spent cartridge was recovered at the scene and a dog unit is assisting in locating the firearm used in the shooting. Nevhuhulwi noted the altercation stemmed from the gardener not showing up for work, which escalated into the shooting.
Bellarmine Mugabe has a history of legal issues. Last year in Zimbabwe, he was arrested twice - once for disorderly conduct at a police roadblock and another time for allegedly leading armed men to assault illegal gold panners in Mazowe. His brother, Robert Jr., has also faced multiple arrests in South Africa for assault, drug possession, and malicious damage to property.
Source - zimlive
Join the discussion
Loading comments…