Latest News Editor's Choice


News / National

2 Zimbabweans get multiple life sentences for South Africa murders

by Staff reporter
2 hrs ago | 105 Views
TWO Zimbabwean nationals convicted of a string of murders and violent robberies in Johannesburg have been sentenced to multiple life imprisonment terms by the Gauteng Local Division Court after terrorising residents of Troyville and Betrams in 2023.

Clifford Moyo and Nhlanhla Ncube faced 18 charges, including murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances, assault, unlawful possession of firearms and ammunition, and immigration offences.

The convictions stemmed from two deadly incidents that left five people dead during a violent crime spree in October 2023.

According to court proceedings, the pair fatally shot one victim in Betrams on October 6 before launching another attack at a property in Troyville two days later.

During the Troyville attack, four people - Esther Nzimande, Bekani Nzimande, Proud Mpofu and Ntombizodwa Mumpande - were robbed and killed.

The court also heard that the accused robbed additional victims during the crime spree.

Moyo was convicted on 14 counts, while Ncube was found guilty on 12 charges.

In sentencing, Judge Dario Dosio described the murders as "senseless" and said both men had shown no remorse.

Moyo received five life sentences, while Ncube was sentenced to three life imprisonment terms for murder.

The court heard that several victims, including elderly residents in their 80s, were attacked after watching a rugby match.

"With the exception of one deceased, all others were shot in the head," the judge said.

Judge Dosio said the killings were carried out "mercilessly" and motivated by greed rather than desperation, noting that both men had been employed at the time.

One elderly victim, described in court as frail and ill, was reportedly shot "in cold blood".

Family members who witnessed the attacks were said to have suffered severe psychological trauma.

"They are dangerous and need to be removed from the community," the judge ruled.

The court also highlighted South Africa's escalating violent crime crisis and stressed the importance of severe punishment to deter offenders and reassure the public.

In addition to the life terms, the accused received lengthy prison sentences for robbery and firearm-related offences, although those sentences will run concurrently.

Both men were declared unfit to possess firearms under South Africa's Firearms Control Act and were also convicted of violating immigration laws.

Court records showed that survivors identified the suspects during police identification parades conducted at Jeppe Police Station.

During trial proceedings, Ncube denied knowing Moyo and claimed witnesses had mistaken him for another individual.

However, Judge Dosio dismissed his defence as fabricated and ruled that the witness identifications were credible and reliable.

"The witnesses had no reason to falsely implicate the accused," the judgment stated.

Source - newsday
Join the discussion
Loading comments…

Get the Daily Digest