Latest News Editor's Choice


News / National

Man denies kidnapping former workmate

by Staff reporter
1 hr ago | 8 Views
The trial of a 38-year-old Harare man accused of kidnapping and assaulting a former workmate to prevent him from exposing alleged corporate fraud has entered the defence stage at the Harare Magistrates Court.

Simbarashe Emmanuel Martin Rondozai is facing one count of kidnapping as defined under Section 93 of the Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act.

The State alleges that in May 2025, Rondozai and four accomplices who remain at large abducted and assaulted David Matanda, 35, in an attempt to conceal the alleged misappropriation of funds at a local security company where the two worked.

Matanda had reportedly worked under Rondozai's supervision for more than five years.

Giving evidence in his defence, Rondozai denied the allegations and disputed testimony previously given by Matanda, his juvenile brother Mufaro Mubaiwa and Matanda's wife, Catherine Satande.

Rondozai told the court that he was arrested at his home and only informed afterwards that he was facing kidnapping allegations.

He said police told him that Matanda had identified him based on a black mark on his face.

However, Rondozai disputed the identification, saying his facial mark was different and had been surgically removed in 2005.

While acknowledging that Matanda had previously been his subordinate, Rondozai said Lancelot Muswere was the complainant's direct supervisor.

He also questioned how Matanda had managed to cross the crocodile-infested Limpopo River into South Africa after the alleged abduction.

Earlier in the proceedings, Satande testified that five men posing as law enforcement officers abducted her husband from their Chitungwiza home.

She said the men arrived in a silver Honda Fit and that she did not immediately report the incident because she genuinely believed they were police officers.

Satande told the court that her husband subsequently fled to South Africa, fearing for his life, and communicated with his family only through his aunt's phone.

She said relatives assisted in supporting their children while Matanda was in South Africa.

According to the State, Matanda returned to Zimbabwe on December 16, 2025, before eventually reporting the alleged kidnapping to the police on February 19, 2026.

Satande also told the court that one of the men who allegedly assaulted her husband had a beard.

Mubaiwa, 17, gave his evidence in camera because he is a juvenile.

The kidnapping trial is continuing before Harare magistrate Tapiwa Kuhudzai.

Meanwhile, Rondozai faces a separate trial before Harare provincial magistrate Ruth Moyo on October 10 over allegations that he defrauded Wellcash Debt Collectors of nearly US$11 000 in 2024.

He is accused of transferring unremitted debt recoveries to his unsuspecting mother.

The separate fraud matter is unrelated to the kidnapping proceedings currently before Kuhudzai.

Source - Newsday
Join the discussion
Loading comments…

Get the Daily Digest