Latest News Editor's Choice


News / National

False murder reports spark panic

by Staff reporter
6 hrs ago | Views
Norton residents were thrown into panic this week following the circulation of false reports claiming multiple arrests in connection with the recent gruesome murders in the town. Hundreds of residents reportedly took to the streets, some armed with stones, demanding mob justice for the alleged suspects.

The false reports suggested that the suspects would demonstrate to homicide detectives how they killed two men in the area, stoking fears that the killings were ritualistic. The reaction highlighted the heightened tension and fear gripping Norton after two shocking murders occurred earlier this week.

The bodies of Patrice Tinashe Chipaumire (40) and Shadreck Jack Gideon (29) were discovered in the Katanga area near the World Harvest Church on Monday and Tuesday, respectively. Chipaumire's body was found mutilated, with both eyes, private parts, and the tongue removed. Gideon's body was found near a church and Early Learning Centre, leading residents to believe he was killed elsewhere and dumped at the site.

Police national spokesperson Commissioner Paul Nyathi dismissed the circulating reports, stating, "The police are concerned about the false information circulating on social media regarding the arrest of suspects in the Norton murder case. We categorically deny any such arrests."

During a visit to Katanga, H-Metro observed large crowds near the crime scenes, and local businesses reportedly closed due to escalating tension. "People are furious about the brutal murders that occurred within 48 hours. They heard from sources that the suspects had been arrested and came in large numbers," said an employee from a nearby company.

One suspect, Pardon Jena (29), has appeared in court. Prosecutor Flossie Chigudu told Norton magistrate Mitchell Panavanhu that Jena allegedly stabbed Chipaumire in the neck following a dispute near Kufa Garage. Chipaumire subsequently collapsed, and Jena allegedly mutilated his private parts and left cheek. Jena was arrested later near the Petrotrade garage at Katanga shops and was remanded in custody.

Meanwhile, plans are underway for the burial of Shadreck Gideon. His family spokesperson, Ruth Raphael, said, "Shadreck was self-employed and leaves behind a seven-year-old daughter. If all goes according to plan, we expect to hold the funeral this Saturday."

The incidents have left Norton residents shaken, with tensions remaining high as investigations continue.

Source - online
More on: #Murder, #Reports, #Panic