News / National
Inter Africa crew in explosives v scandal
3 hrs ago |
270 Views
AN Inter Africa bus driver and conductor have appeared in court alongside a member of the public over allegations of illegally transporting explosives in a public service vehicle.
Giant Mudimba (49), of Flat 6 Simon Court on Parirenyatwa Street, Takunda Dzichauya (24), of Duma, Nyika in Bikita, and Brighton Michael Chimbidzikai (40), of Mbundane suburb, appeared before Western Commonage magistrate Jeconia Prince Ncube facing charges of carrying or transporting explosives in a public transport vehicle.
Mudimba pleaded guilty and was remanded in custody to tomorrow for sentencing.
Dzichauya and Chimbidzikai pleaded not guilty, arguing that they were unaware that the goods being transported were explosives. The pair were each granted US$30 bail and remanded to May 27 for trial.
Prosecutor Tafara Dzimbanhete told the court that Mudimba allegedly acquired 123 emulites and 100 capped fuses on an unknown date.
The court heard that on May 13 at around midday, Mudimba went to Lobengula Street between 12th and 13th Avenue in Bulawayo, where Inter Africa buses load passengers and goods destined for Mphoengs in Mangwe District.
According to the State, the three allegedly connived to load the explosives into an Inter Africa bus, registration number AGL 6241, driven by Chimbidzikai while Dzichauya was acting as conductor.
Mudimba allegedly remained in Bulawayo while the bus departed for Mangwe District.
Police later intercepted the bus at a security roadblock and conducted a search, leading to the recovery of the 123 emulites and 100 capped fuses hidden inside a brown sack.
Dzichauya and Chimbidzikai were arrested at the scene and reportedly identified Mudimba as the owner of the explosives, resulting in his subsequent arrest.
The recovered explosives were valued at approximately US$300.
Meanwhile, Zimbabwe Republic Police national spokesperson Paul Nyathi warned that the illegal transportation of explosives and hazardous substances in public transport vehicles poses a major threat to public safety.
He cautioned transport operators and bus crews against carrying explosives, detonators, cyanide and other dangerous substances without lawful authority and proper safety compliance measures.
"Offenders will be arrested and prosecuted without fear or favour," Nyathi said.
He also warned mining companies, suppliers and chemical firms against selling explosives and related hazardous materials to individuals or entities lacking valid permits and licences as required by law.
The nationwide crackdown follows a fatal explosion involving a Toyota Quantum vehicle along the Bulawayo-Esigodini Road last month, which killed all passengers on board.
Giant Mudimba (49), of Flat 6 Simon Court on Parirenyatwa Street, Takunda Dzichauya (24), of Duma, Nyika in Bikita, and Brighton Michael Chimbidzikai (40), of Mbundane suburb, appeared before Western Commonage magistrate Jeconia Prince Ncube facing charges of carrying or transporting explosives in a public transport vehicle.
Mudimba pleaded guilty and was remanded in custody to tomorrow for sentencing.
Dzichauya and Chimbidzikai pleaded not guilty, arguing that they were unaware that the goods being transported were explosives. The pair were each granted US$30 bail and remanded to May 27 for trial.
Prosecutor Tafara Dzimbanhete told the court that Mudimba allegedly acquired 123 emulites and 100 capped fuses on an unknown date.
The court heard that on May 13 at around midday, Mudimba went to Lobengula Street between 12th and 13th Avenue in Bulawayo, where Inter Africa buses load passengers and goods destined for Mphoengs in Mangwe District.
According to the State, the three allegedly connived to load the explosives into an Inter Africa bus, registration number AGL 6241, driven by Chimbidzikai while Dzichauya was acting as conductor.
Mudimba allegedly remained in Bulawayo while the bus departed for Mangwe District.
Police later intercepted the bus at a security roadblock and conducted a search, leading to the recovery of the 123 emulites and 100 capped fuses hidden inside a brown sack.
Dzichauya and Chimbidzikai were arrested at the scene and reportedly identified Mudimba as the owner of the explosives, resulting in his subsequent arrest.
The recovered explosives were valued at approximately US$300.
Meanwhile, Zimbabwe Republic Police national spokesperson Paul Nyathi warned that the illegal transportation of explosives and hazardous substances in public transport vehicles poses a major threat to public safety.
He cautioned transport operators and bus crews against carrying explosives, detonators, cyanide and other dangerous substances without lawful authority and proper safety compliance measures.
"Offenders will be arrested and prosecuted without fear or favour," Nyathi said.
He also warned mining companies, suppliers and chemical firms against selling explosives and related hazardous materials to individuals or entities lacking valid permits and licences as required by law.
The nationwide crackdown follows a fatal explosion involving a Toyota Quantum vehicle along the Bulawayo-Esigodini Road last month, which killed all passengers on board.
Source - Sunday News
Join the discussion
Loading comments…