Latest News Editor's Choice

Sports / Local

'Scary' Bosso storm into Bob90 final

by Sikhumbuzo Moyo
17 Feb 2014 at 08:09hrs | Views
Highlanders 2-1 Harare City
HIGHLANDERS stand-in coach Mark Mathe made a winning start on his return when he fielded a star-studded side which edged Harare City at Barbourfields Stadium yesterday.

The home team got its goals through Peter "Rio" Moyo in the 45th minute and Milton Ncube in the 78th Minute. Misheck Mburayi scored for the visitors in the 40th minute.

Mathe who rejoined Highlanders in the off-season after six months out at Saints, threw in eight natural midfielders that included four left-footed players.

His plan almost crumbled like a deck of cards with Harare City grabbing a shock lead five minutes from the breather through former Highlanders and Triangle United striker Mburayi.

Bosso had Ncube as the lone gun man against a four men defence led by skipper David Kutyauripo and it was always difficult for him to penetrate. In the 23rd minute, Chan poster boy Kudakwashe Mahachi brought in an a swinger that was met by Ncube with a header that went wide.

The move was initiated by another new boy Charles Sibanda who, however, had a below average performance by his standards.

As Highlanders kept on attacking there were bound to be susceptible to counter-attacks from Harare City, who were always looking dangerous whenever they charged forward and five minutes from the breather, Barbourfields Stadium was stunned into silence.

An error by Innocent Mapuranga after a poor pass by Moyo saw an alert Mburayi slotting the ball over an advancing Munyaradzi Diya in goals for Highlanders.

Like a determined lot, Bosso did not look back but instead kept on advancing as they sought to equalise the score at half time.

Just before the halftime whistle blew, referee Philani Ncube awarded Bosso a freekick on the left after Mahachi was hacked down as he charged forward.

Upstepped Bruce Kangwa flighted the ball to the far right and as Harare City defenders stood akimbo probably thinking the ball was going out, Mthulisi Maphosa had other ideas, heading the ball back into the thick of things for a well-positioned Moyo to riffle the ball home and send thousands of Bosso fans into ecstasy.

The first half ended 1-1. The second half saw the ginger-haired Mahachi dispossessing a sleeping on duty Munyaradzi Nyenye inside the box but his short was weak as it gave Nomore Johns no problem.

In an effort to grab the all important second goal, Harare City coach Bigboy Mawiwi made a treble substitution, taking out William Manondo, Takudzwa Chimwemwe and Kutyauripo for Crybet Muvuti, Talent Chawaphuwa and James Jamu respectively.

There were, however, a few goalmouth incidents as both teams resorted to passes but action came to life when Mathe brought in speed merchant Gabriel Nyoni for dreadlocked Sibanda.

Bosso should be applauded for their well calculated moves. In the 73rd minute a second goal that proved to be the winner, came.

Second half substitute, Valentine Ndaba shrugged off some tame challenges and spotted an on rushing Ncube whose first time shot from outside the box beat a diving Johns.

M Diya, E Mudzingwa, B Kangwa, I Mapuranga, D Ndlovu, S Munawa, P Moyo( G Nyoni 57th minute), M Maphosa (W Ndiweni 74th minute), M Ncube (M Dube 81st minute), C Sibanda (V Ndaba 57th minute), K Mahachi.

Harare City:
N Johns, M Nyenye, T Chiworeso, A Chivheya, D Kutyauripo (J Jamu 54th minute), D Crispen, T Chimwemwe (T Chawaphuwa 54th minute), W Manondo (C Muvuti 54th minute), M Vengesayi, M Mburayi, N Ziwini.

Source - Chronicle