Latest News Editor's Choice

News / National

Housemate fails to save suicidal neighbour

by Staff reporter
03 Jul 2022 at 09:10hrs | Views
EFFORTS to save a woman who ingested poison by making her drink milk proved futile when she died.

It is common belief in many Zimbabwean societies that milk "neutralises" poison.

Medical professionals, however, dismiss it as a myth.

Twenty-four-year-old Chipo Rutsava was found vomiting by a man she shared a house with and stated that she had ingested poison.

The type of poison is not yet known and police are still investigating the incident.

The housemate rushed to inform a neighbour and together they tried to get Rutsava to drink milk.

The woman died before reaching the hospital and the body was taken to United Bulawayo Hospitals for a post-mortem.

Bulawayo police spokesperson Inspector Abednico Ncube said: "We are investigating a case of sudden death by poisoning, which occurred in Umguza.

"We urge members of the public to share their problems with others or to approach local counsellors or church leaders instead of resorting to suicide".

Source - B-Metro