News / National
Mbare bed nsikizi outbreak contained
2 hrs ago |
77 Views
The Harare City Council has announced that a recent resurgence of bed bugs in Mbare suburb has now been brought under control following a rapid response by health authorities.
In a statement, council confirmed that a re-infestation had been detected in several residential blocks - including Nenyere, Matererini, Matapi, Shawasha and the Mbare hostels - despite a successful control programme carried out last year.
"The City of Harare wishes to inform residents that a bed bug re-infestation has been detected in Mbare despite a successful control programme implemented last year," reads part of the statement.
Council attributed the outbreak to the circulation of imported second-hand clothing, commonly known as "mabhero", which may have carried bed bugs and their eggs into residential areas.
Health officials believe the pests were reintroduced into the flats through infested garments and household items.
In response, the City Health Department launched a targeted fumigation programme beginning on February 19, 2026, covering all affected blocks and surrounding areas.
"The City Health Department is urgently responding through a targeted chemical application programme in all affected blocks and nearby areas from the 19th of February 2026. The operation aims to protect public health and prevent further spread," the statement said.
Authorities have urged residents to fully co-operate with fumigation teams by granting access to their rooms, removing clutter and old furniture, pulling beds and wardrobes away from walls, washing bedding and clothing before spraying, and ensuring children are kept away during the process.
Council warned that failure to comply may result in action being taken against non-co-operative residents, as non-compliance poses a risk of continued infestation in neighbouring rooms and blocks.
The local authority said it will continue monitoring the situation to prevent further outbreaks and safeguard public health.
In a statement, council confirmed that a re-infestation had been detected in several residential blocks - including Nenyere, Matererini, Matapi, Shawasha and the Mbare hostels - despite a successful control programme carried out last year.
"The City of Harare wishes to inform residents that a bed bug re-infestation has been detected in Mbare despite a successful control programme implemented last year," reads part of the statement.
Council attributed the outbreak to the circulation of imported second-hand clothing, commonly known as "mabhero", which may have carried bed bugs and their eggs into residential areas.
Health officials believe the pests were reintroduced into the flats through infested garments and household items.
"The City Health Department is urgently responding through a targeted chemical application programme in all affected blocks and nearby areas from the 19th of February 2026. The operation aims to protect public health and prevent further spread," the statement said.
Authorities have urged residents to fully co-operate with fumigation teams by granting access to their rooms, removing clutter and old furniture, pulling beds and wardrobes away from walls, washing bedding and clothing before spraying, and ensuring children are kept away during the process.
Council warned that failure to comply may result in action being taken against non-co-operative residents, as non-compliance poses a risk of continued infestation in neighbouring rooms and blocks.
The local authority said it will continue monitoring the situation to prevent further outbreaks and safeguard public health.
Source - The Herald
Join the discussion
Loading comments…