News / National
Chivayo withdraws charges against ex-mother in law
2 hrs ago |
89 Views
Controversial businessman Wicknell Chivayo has withdrawn criminal charges against his estranged wife, Sonja Louise Madzikanda, saying he forgave her because she is the mother of his children.
He also withdrew charges against her mother, Thabitha Madzikanda.
The development follows Sonja's four-night detention over cyber-bullying and harassment allegations linked to alleged AI-generated images and videos involving Chivayo and South African President Cyril Ramaphosa.
Her mother had spent three nights in custody in connection with the same matter.
Speaking outside court on Friday, Chivayo said his decision was motivated by his children.
"What's wrong with that? She is the mother of my children, so I have forgiven her. My kids have been calling asking for their mummy," he said.
"Once it involves my children, then I'm defeated because those are the people I love the most."
Sonja and her mother had appeared before Magistrate Nyaradzo Manokore facing charges under Section 164B of the Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act [Chapter 9:23].
Prosecutors alleged the pair circulated AI-generated images and videos purporting to show Chivayo with President Ramaphosa ahead of the South African leader's official visit to Zimbabwe on May 3.
The State had opposed bail and said it intended to use the alleged AI-generated material as evidence during trial.
The matter had earlier been delayed after the magistrate reportedly failed to attend court due to illness, resulting in Sonja spending an additional night in custody.
Although Chivayo withdrew the complaint, he defended his initial decision to report the matter, saying the circulation of fake images involving a foreign Head of State was unacceptable.
"For my mother-in-law to circulate fake pictures of me and President Ramaphosa… I think that was a bit out of order," he said.
"She went to the extreme. Citizens must respect Heads of State. That was uncalled for."
He added that while he had forgiven the pair, he believed the initial custody period was justified.
"She is a 63-year-old woman and knows what is right and wrong," he said.
Chivayo said his relationship with the Madzikanda family would continue because of his children with Sonja.
"Our relationship can never end. We have two children together… I have forgiven them, that's why we have withdrawn the charges," he said.
He also dismissed allegations relating to a US$1.4 million children's trust fund, saying no fraud had been committed but claiming there were attempts to use the money without his knowledge for land purchases and housing development.
He further alleged efforts to remove him as a signatory to accounts linked to the trust despite a High Court order granting him oversight rights.
The fraud allegations were not part of the court proceedings in the cyber-bullying case.
He also withdrew charges against her mother, Thabitha Madzikanda.
The development follows Sonja's four-night detention over cyber-bullying and harassment allegations linked to alleged AI-generated images and videos involving Chivayo and South African President Cyril Ramaphosa.
Her mother had spent three nights in custody in connection with the same matter.
Speaking outside court on Friday, Chivayo said his decision was motivated by his children.
"What's wrong with that? She is the mother of my children, so I have forgiven her. My kids have been calling asking for their mummy," he said.
"Once it involves my children, then I'm defeated because those are the people I love the most."
Sonja and her mother had appeared before Magistrate Nyaradzo Manokore facing charges under Section 164B of the Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act [Chapter 9:23].
Prosecutors alleged the pair circulated AI-generated images and videos purporting to show Chivayo with President Ramaphosa ahead of the South African leader's official visit to Zimbabwe on May 3.
The State had opposed bail and said it intended to use the alleged AI-generated material as evidence during trial.
Although Chivayo withdrew the complaint, he defended his initial decision to report the matter, saying the circulation of fake images involving a foreign Head of State was unacceptable.
"For my mother-in-law to circulate fake pictures of me and President Ramaphosa… I think that was a bit out of order," he said.
"She went to the extreme. Citizens must respect Heads of State. That was uncalled for."
He added that while he had forgiven the pair, he believed the initial custody period was justified.
"She is a 63-year-old woman and knows what is right and wrong," he said.
Chivayo said his relationship with the Madzikanda family would continue because of his children with Sonja.
"Our relationship can never end. We have two children together… I have forgiven them, that's why we have withdrawn the charges," he said.
He also dismissed allegations relating to a US$1.4 million children's trust fund, saying no fraud had been committed but claiming there were attempts to use the money without his knowledge for land purchases and housing development.
He further alleged efforts to remove him as a signatory to accounts linked to the trust despite a High Court order granting him oversight rights.
The fraud allegations were not part of the court proceedings in the cyber-bullying case.
Source - online
Join the discussion
Loading comments…