News / National
Thousands stranded in Zanu PF, CCC fierce clash
2 hrs ago |
84 Views
More than 2 000 residents in Chivhu are struggling to access clean water following a bitter political dispute between ZANU–PF and Citizens Coalition for Change over control of a community borehole project.
The standoff erupted in Ward 11 under Chikomba Rural District Council after CCC councillor Collen Zvarevashe led efforts to repair a borehole that had been out of service since February.
The borehole, originally installed in 2008 through a donor-supported government initiative, serves thousands of villagers who have endured months of water shortages.
Zvarevashe mobilised residents to repair broken pipes and install a solar power system to restore functionality to the facility.
However, tensions flared after ZANU–PF supporters allegedly removed the newly installed pipes, arguing that the borehole was a government-linked project that should be managed under the ruling party's oversight through Chikomba West MP Tatenda Mavetera.
The dispute has since left the community without access to the restored water source, forcing residents to travel long distances to fetch water.
The situation escalated on Friday when Zvarevashe reportedly spent hours at Chikomba RDC offices demanding explanations over the removal of the equipment. Council officials later reported the matter to police, alleging that the councillor had refused to leave the premises.
Police are said to have intervened and urged both parties to resolve the dispute peacefully.
Zvarevashe condemned the incident, saying residents were being punished by political rivalry over basic services.
"Government projects are not ZANU–PF projects. They are meant to benefit everyone regardless of political affiliation," he said.
He added that plans to fully solarise the borehole had been disrupted, despite efforts by the community to raise funds for the project.
ZANU–PF members, however, accused the opposition of attempting to claim credit for government-funded development initiatives.
Meanwhile, Tatenda Mavetera distanced herself from the dispute, saying she had not authorised anyone to intervene in the matter.
She said allegations that she had sent emissaries to the site were false and amounted to "name-dropping," adding that her focus remained on improving service delivery in the constituency.
The standoff has highlighted ongoing tensions over local development projects, with residents bearing the brunt of political competition that has disrupted access to essential services such as clean water.
The standoff erupted in Ward 11 under Chikomba Rural District Council after CCC councillor Collen Zvarevashe led efforts to repair a borehole that had been out of service since February.
The borehole, originally installed in 2008 through a donor-supported government initiative, serves thousands of villagers who have endured months of water shortages.
Zvarevashe mobilised residents to repair broken pipes and install a solar power system to restore functionality to the facility.
However, tensions flared after ZANU–PF supporters allegedly removed the newly installed pipes, arguing that the borehole was a government-linked project that should be managed under the ruling party's oversight through Chikomba West MP Tatenda Mavetera.
The dispute has since left the community without access to the restored water source, forcing residents to travel long distances to fetch water.
The situation escalated on Friday when Zvarevashe reportedly spent hours at Chikomba RDC offices demanding explanations over the removal of the equipment. Council officials later reported the matter to police, alleging that the councillor had refused to leave the premises.
Police are said to have intervened and urged both parties to resolve the dispute peacefully.
Zvarevashe condemned the incident, saying residents were being punished by political rivalry over basic services.
"Government projects are not ZANU–PF projects. They are meant to benefit everyone regardless of political affiliation," he said.
He added that plans to fully solarise the borehole had been disrupted, despite efforts by the community to raise funds for the project.
ZANU–PF members, however, accused the opposition of attempting to claim credit for government-funded development initiatives.
Meanwhile, Tatenda Mavetera distanced herself from the dispute, saying she had not authorised anyone to intervene in the matter.
She said allegations that she had sent emissaries to the site were false and amounted to "name-dropping," adding that her focus remained on improving service delivery in the constituency.
The standoff has highlighted ongoing tensions over local development projects, with residents bearing the brunt of political competition that has disrupted access to essential services such as clean water.
Source - The Standard
Join the discussion
Loading comments…