News / National
Bulawayo gold barons under siege
2 hrs ago |
53 Views
The Zimbabwe Anti-Corruption Commission (Zacc) has launched investigations into suspected illegal gold mining syndicates operating on Bulawayo City Council farms in Inyankuni, in a probe that could expose corruption linked to the destruction of critical water catchment areas.
According to a confidential council report seen by Southern Eye, Zacc formally requested manpower, security and fuel from council authorities to support an operation targeting illegal miners accused of damaging key water sources supplying Bulawayo.
The request, dated April 14, 2026, was addressed to the town clerk and signed by the Zacc provincial head, highlighting the scale of the planned operation and the resources required.
"The Zacc is investigating cases of illegal mining activities taking place in part of your farms in Inyankuni area, Umzingwane district," the letter reportedly stated.
Zacc requested surveyors to identify municipal land boundaries, security personnel to assist during the operation, and fuel amounting to 60 litres per day for three days, subject to extension, as well as refreshments for officers deployed between Umzingwane and Bulawayo.
According to the report, Bulawayo director of town planning Wisdom Siziba warned that the city had been battling "persistent illegal occupation and gold panning activities" on council farms, including catchment areas linked to Inyankuni Dam and Umzingwane Dam.
The report described severe environmental damage allegedly caused by the mining activities, including land degradation, destruction of vegetation and contamination of raw water sources.
"These activities had resulted in land degradation, siltation of water bodies, destruction of catchment vegetation, and contamination of raw water sources, directly reducing inflows into the city's supply dams," the report stated.
Council reportedly acknowledged that the illegal mining activities have worsened Bulawayo's chronic water shortages at a time when many suburbs continue experiencing prolonged water cuts.
The report further revealed that previous attempts by council to remove illegal miners and occupants had achieved limited success, raising concerns that some syndicates could be benefiting from protection by corrupt networks.
"Council had previously engaged relevant authorities, with limited success in permanently removing illegal occupants and miners," the report said.
Council assessments reportedly linked unregulated mining in catchment areas to declining dam yields, with the issue highlighted in the city's 2024 Water Crisis Report.
For many residents, the revelations raise concerns about how extensive environmental destruction has continued for years while the city battles worsening water shortages and residents increasingly depend on boreholes and water bowsers.
The report stated that Zacc had already commenced investigations under Section 255 of the Constitution to determine whether corruption, abuse of office or collusion facilitated the illegal occupation and mining activities on council land.
Investigators are expected to identify responsible parties, recommend solutions and propose measures aimed at protecting council land and critical water catchments from further invasion.
"The unlawful occupation and mining activities on council farms that contain critical water catchments posed a direct threat to both Bulawayo's water security and Council's title to the land," the report noted.
Council said assisting Zacc aligned with its constitutional obligations to protect public property and safeguard water catchment areas.
Following consultations with the town clerk, council reportedly approved the request, committing municipal resources to support Zacc's crackdown on the illegal mining syndicates.
According to a confidential council report seen by Southern Eye, Zacc formally requested manpower, security and fuel from council authorities to support an operation targeting illegal miners accused of damaging key water sources supplying Bulawayo.
The request, dated April 14, 2026, was addressed to the town clerk and signed by the Zacc provincial head, highlighting the scale of the planned operation and the resources required.
"The Zacc is investigating cases of illegal mining activities taking place in part of your farms in Inyankuni area, Umzingwane district," the letter reportedly stated.
Zacc requested surveyors to identify municipal land boundaries, security personnel to assist during the operation, and fuel amounting to 60 litres per day for three days, subject to extension, as well as refreshments for officers deployed between Umzingwane and Bulawayo.
According to the report, Bulawayo director of town planning Wisdom Siziba warned that the city had been battling "persistent illegal occupation and gold panning activities" on council farms, including catchment areas linked to Inyankuni Dam and Umzingwane Dam.
The report described severe environmental damage allegedly caused by the mining activities, including land degradation, destruction of vegetation and contamination of raw water sources.
"These activities had resulted in land degradation, siltation of water bodies, destruction of catchment vegetation, and contamination of raw water sources, directly reducing inflows into the city's supply dams," the report stated.
Council reportedly acknowledged that the illegal mining activities have worsened Bulawayo's chronic water shortages at a time when many suburbs continue experiencing prolonged water cuts.
The report further revealed that previous attempts by council to remove illegal miners and occupants had achieved limited success, raising concerns that some syndicates could be benefiting from protection by corrupt networks.
"Council had previously engaged relevant authorities, with limited success in permanently removing illegal occupants and miners," the report said.
Council assessments reportedly linked unregulated mining in catchment areas to declining dam yields, with the issue highlighted in the city's 2024 Water Crisis Report.
For many residents, the revelations raise concerns about how extensive environmental destruction has continued for years while the city battles worsening water shortages and residents increasingly depend on boreholes and water bowsers.
The report stated that Zacc had already commenced investigations under Section 255 of the Constitution to determine whether corruption, abuse of office or collusion facilitated the illegal occupation and mining activities on council land.
Investigators are expected to identify responsible parties, recommend solutions and propose measures aimed at protecting council land and critical water catchments from further invasion.
"The unlawful occupation and mining activities on council farms that contain critical water catchments posed a direct threat to both Bulawayo's water security and Council's title to the land," the report noted.
Council said assisting Zacc aligned with its constitutional obligations to protect public property and safeguard water catchment areas.
Following consultations with the town clerk, council reportedly approved the request, committing municipal resources to support Zacc's crackdown on the illegal mining syndicates.
Source - Southern Eye
Join the discussion
Loading comments…