News / National
School tuckshop row sparks Harare council dispute
2 hrs ago |
56 Views
Kwayedza High School in Highfield, Harare, has become the centre of controversy after permanent concrete tuckshops were built along its perimeter wall, raising concerns from residents, parents and city officials over student safety and alleged irregular approvals.
The structures sit just inches from where learners walk daily, creating what critics describe as a hazardous and disruptive environment for a place of learning. The developments were reportedly constructed by a cooperative known as the "50 Angels Pay Scheme", which insists it obtained formal approval from the City of Harare.
A letter dated May 6, 2024, indicates that the Small to Medium Enterprise Committee recommended approval of the application and that the decision was later adopted by full council in March 2024. The document authorises the construction of SME structures along the school perimeter wall, allegedly replacing what was described as a dumpsite.
However, Harare Mayor Jacob Mafume has strongly denied any legitimate council endorsement of the project, calling it unlawful and vowing disciplinary action against any officials implicated. He described the situation as "unmitigated mischief" and insisted that council cannot approve such developments near a school environment.
City of Harare spokesperson Stanley Gama also dismissed the structures as illegal, stating that demolition proceedings will be initiated. He said the municipality does not support encroachment on school boundaries and will move to restore order.
Despite this stance, the cooperative maintains that it followed due process and even pays levies to council, producing receipts as proof of compliance. Its chairperson, Philemon Chaguruka, said the group invested in the project in good faith and should not be forced to leave without alternative land or compensation.
The dispute has since escalated into a High Court battle, where earlier demolition attempts by the city were challenged. A consent order was eventually issued after the applicant withdrew its urgent application on condition that the demolition notice was withdrawn.
Residents of Highfield have rejected claims that the area was previously a dumpsite, arguing that the development amounts to an illegal land grab that compromises children's safety and undermines the integrity of the school environment.
The structures sit just inches from where learners walk daily, creating what critics describe as a hazardous and disruptive environment for a place of learning. The developments were reportedly constructed by a cooperative known as the "50 Angels Pay Scheme", which insists it obtained formal approval from the City of Harare.
A letter dated May 6, 2024, indicates that the Small to Medium Enterprise Committee recommended approval of the application and that the decision was later adopted by full council in March 2024. The document authorises the construction of SME structures along the school perimeter wall, allegedly replacing what was described as a dumpsite.
However, Harare Mayor Jacob Mafume has strongly denied any legitimate council endorsement of the project, calling it unlawful and vowing disciplinary action against any officials implicated. He described the situation as "unmitigated mischief" and insisted that council cannot approve such developments near a school environment.
Despite this stance, the cooperative maintains that it followed due process and even pays levies to council, producing receipts as proof of compliance. Its chairperson, Philemon Chaguruka, said the group invested in the project in good faith and should not be forced to leave without alternative land or compensation.
The dispute has since escalated into a High Court battle, where earlier demolition attempts by the city were challenged. A consent order was eventually issued after the applicant withdrew its urgent application on condition that the demolition notice was withdrawn.
Residents of Highfield have rejected claims that the area was previously a dumpsite, arguing that the development amounts to an illegal land grab that compromises children's safety and undermines the integrity of the school environment.
Source - The Herald
Join the discussion
Loading comments…