Latest News Editor's Choice


News / National

Mnangagwa defends army killings

by Mandla Ndlovu
01 Feb 2019 at 08:03hrs | Views
President Emmerson Mnangagwa has defended the military intervention by the members of the Zimbabwe Defense Forces who moved in to the western suburbs to restore Law and Order after the January 14 violent protests.

In an interview with the media on Thursday  Mnangagwa said the force used by the security forces was justified.

"The army was reacting to restore order but you hear some saying its excessive force." Mnangagwa said. "If someone burns a police station and a toll gate and we think the police,must stop and watch this happening?"

Mnangagwa says the reports by the western media are an onslaught on developing countries and aimed at vilifying them.  

"The Western media want to develop an image where developing countries are vilified. They want to glorify perpetrators of violence. You have to stop people from destroying property."

The military intervention has left twelve people dead from gunshot wounds, scores hospitalized and thousands arrested.

The army moved out of the barracks on 15 January after the violent protests. Despite cries from the communities alleging brutality by the state agents, no action has been taken.

Earlier this week Presidential Spokesperson George Charamba said the barmy is not moving out of the streets anytime soon until the state gets intelligence to the effect that the January 14 violent protests will not happen again.

Former ZANU PF Mashonaland Central Chairperson Dick Mafios has been jailed two years over inciting protestors to be violent.





Source - Byo24News

Subscribe

Email: