News / National
Geza's death sparks fresh anti-2030 revolt
1 hr ago |
148 Views
Opposition politicians and civic activists have pledged to honour the late Blessed Runesu Geza by intensifying resistance to alleged attempts to extend President Emmerson Mnangagwa's term through constitutional amendments.
Geza, popularly known as Bombshell, died in South Africa on February 6 at the age of 70 and is being buried today at Chenjiri Farm 6 in Sanyati.
Speaking at his memorial service, several opposition figures described him as one of the first insiders from Zanu-PF to publicly oppose any move to alter the Constitution to allow Mnangagwa to remain in office beyond 2028.
Jacob Ngarivhume, leader of Transform Zimbabwe, said safeguarding constitutionalism was the responsibility of every citizen. "We will continue the fight to protect the Constitution," he said. "It is up to us, the people of Zimbabwe, to stand against any attempts to undermine it. Comrade Bombshell represented the spirit of nationalism in this country, but that spirit is being diluted by greed."
Political analyst Ibbo Mandaza praised Geza's boldness in challenging what he termed excesses within Mnangagwa's administration. "Geza raised the hopes of the country in March last year. He played his part, and what we are doing now is simply following in his footsteps," Mandaza said.
Geza, a former Zanu-PF central committee member and liberation war veteran, became an outspoken critic of alleged corruption and a vocal opponent of efforts to extend Mnangagwa's tenure. He fled into exile in February last year after the Zimbabwe Republic Police indicated it intended to arrest him for allegedly undermining the authority of the President.
While in exile, Geza launched a YouTube platform where he alleged high-level corruption and mobilised citizens to oppose Mnangagwa's leadership. His broadcasts were linked by supporters to a national job boycott, and later calls for street protests were met with a heavy security presence and arrests, with some activists reportedly still in custody.
Shortly before news of his death, a message posted on his X account stated that he was in his "final moments" and expressed regret that he would not see a post-Mnangagwa Zimbabwe. It could not immediately be verified whether the post was authored by Geza himself.
Mnangagwa has repeatedly stated that he will step down when his second and final term expires in 2028. However, Cabinet recently approved an amendment Bill that would extend his tenure to 2030.
Following Geza's death, Zanu-PF spokesperson Christopher Mutsvangwa said the late war veteran deserved national hero status, though no official pronouncement had been made by the government at the time of burial preparations.
Family spokesperson Five Geza said before the body was transported to Sanyati that they had not received communication from authorities regarding funeral arrangements. "We just want to bury our relative in a good way," he said.
Geza, popularly known as Bombshell, died in South Africa on February 6 at the age of 70 and is being buried today at Chenjiri Farm 6 in Sanyati.
Speaking at his memorial service, several opposition figures described him as one of the first insiders from Zanu-PF to publicly oppose any move to alter the Constitution to allow Mnangagwa to remain in office beyond 2028.
Jacob Ngarivhume, leader of Transform Zimbabwe, said safeguarding constitutionalism was the responsibility of every citizen. "We will continue the fight to protect the Constitution," he said. "It is up to us, the people of Zimbabwe, to stand against any attempts to undermine it. Comrade Bombshell represented the spirit of nationalism in this country, but that spirit is being diluted by greed."
Political analyst Ibbo Mandaza praised Geza's boldness in challenging what he termed excesses within Mnangagwa's administration. "Geza raised the hopes of the country in March last year. He played his part, and what we are doing now is simply following in his footsteps," Mandaza said.
Geza, a former Zanu-PF central committee member and liberation war veteran, became an outspoken critic of alleged corruption and a vocal opponent of efforts to extend Mnangagwa's tenure. He fled into exile in February last year after the Zimbabwe Republic Police indicated it intended to arrest him for allegedly undermining the authority of the President.
While in exile, Geza launched a YouTube platform where he alleged high-level corruption and mobilised citizens to oppose Mnangagwa's leadership. His broadcasts were linked by supporters to a national job boycott, and later calls for street protests were met with a heavy security presence and arrests, with some activists reportedly still in custody.
Shortly before news of his death, a message posted on his X account stated that he was in his "final moments" and expressed regret that he would not see a post-Mnangagwa Zimbabwe. It could not immediately be verified whether the post was authored by Geza himself.
Mnangagwa has repeatedly stated that he will step down when his second and final term expires in 2028. However, Cabinet recently approved an amendment Bill that would extend his tenure to 2030.
Following Geza's death, Zanu-PF spokesperson Christopher Mutsvangwa said the late war veteran deserved national hero status, though no official pronouncement had been made by the government at the time of burial preparations.
Family spokesperson Five Geza said before the body was transported to Sanyati that they had not received communication from authorities regarding funeral arrangements. "We just want to bury our relative in a good way," he said.
Source - newsday
Join the discussion
Loading comments…