News / National
Masuka under fire over land row
2 hrs ago |
62 Views
Anxious Masuka has reportedly expressed surprise at the high productivity levels at Springs Farm in Goromonzi, Mashonaland East, during a recent wheat production seminar and ministerial tour held on May 15.
The visit comes amid an ongoing legal and political dispute over the allocation of the farm, which has been linked to businessman Muller Conrad Rautenbach, amid contested government decisions involving current occupants of the land.
During the tour, farmers at Springs Farm demonstrated strong production output, prompting mixed reactions as the property remains at the centre of a protracted legal battle over ownership and allocation rights.
The minister had previously been involved in efforts to remove war veterans from the farm to facilitate its allocation to Rautenbach, a move that was later challenged in court.
The matter escalated after the High Court set aside the decision, ruling that the withdrawal of offer letters was procedurally irregular, irrational and disruptive to farmers' livelihoods.
Court records show that the dispute stemmed from an attempt to compensate Rautenbach for alleged land losses in Aspindale, Harare—claims which were later contested, with questions raised over whether he had any legal entitlement to the said land.
Despite the earlier ruling, the ministry later filed a composite application seeking rescission of judgment and related reliefs, a move legal analysts said was filed outside the prescribed time limits.
During the farm visit, farmers raised concerns that ongoing uncertainty was undermining investment and long-term agricultural productivity on the land.
Some farmers indicated that they are operating through joint venture agreements with investors, which they believe should be respected to safeguard production and investor confidence.
War veterans involved in the dispute also raised concerns after reports emerged that a deed of transfer had allegedly been issued to Rautenbach prior to the finalisation of court proceedings.
The matter previously came before the High Court, where Justice Regis Dembure ruled against the minister's bid to withdraw the farm, citing procedural and legal irregularities.
Subsequent legal filings, including a late application for rescission, have since kept the dispute active, with judgment expected from Justice Tawanda Chitapi.
The case continues to draw attention amid broader debates over land reform, agricultural productivity, and transparency in state land allocation decisions.
The visit comes amid an ongoing legal and political dispute over the allocation of the farm, which has been linked to businessman Muller Conrad Rautenbach, amid contested government decisions involving current occupants of the land.
During the tour, farmers at Springs Farm demonstrated strong production output, prompting mixed reactions as the property remains at the centre of a protracted legal battle over ownership and allocation rights.
The minister had previously been involved in efforts to remove war veterans from the farm to facilitate its allocation to Rautenbach, a move that was later challenged in court.
The matter escalated after the High Court set aside the decision, ruling that the withdrawal of offer letters was procedurally irregular, irrational and disruptive to farmers' livelihoods.
Court records show that the dispute stemmed from an attempt to compensate Rautenbach for alleged land losses in Aspindale, Harare—claims which were later contested, with questions raised over whether he had any legal entitlement to the said land.
Despite the earlier ruling, the ministry later filed a composite application seeking rescission of judgment and related reliefs, a move legal analysts said was filed outside the prescribed time limits.
During the farm visit, farmers raised concerns that ongoing uncertainty was undermining investment and long-term agricultural productivity on the land.
Some farmers indicated that they are operating through joint venture agreements with investors, which they believe should be respected to safeguard production and investor confidence.
War veterans involved in the dispute also raised concerns after reports emerged that a deed of transfer had allegedly been issued to Rautenbach prior to the finalisation of court proceedings.
The matter previously came before the High Court, where Justice Regis Dembure ruled against the minister's bid to withdraw the farm, citing procedural and legal irregularities.
Subsequent legal filings, including a late application for rescission, have since kept the dispute active, with judgment expected from Justice Tawanda Chitapi.
The case continues to draw attention amid broader debates over land reform, agricultural productivity, and transparency in state land allocation decisions.
Source - online
Join the discussion
Loading comments…