News / National
June 10 by-elections update: More than 400 000 register
31 May 2015 at 08:25hrs | Views

THE Zimbabwe Electoral Commission has said more than 400 000 people have registered to vote in the June 10 National Assembly by-elections with an average number of 25 000 people per constituency.
The elections are due to take place in 16 constituencies and available data indicates this is the highest number of by-elections ever.
Dangamvura-Chikanga has the highest figures at 40 900 voters while Highfield West ranks lowest with 23 298.
ZEC spokesperson Justin Manyau said Treasury had so far released $2,7 million for the elections.
Government cut the poll budget from $6 million to $4 million.
"ZEC is prepared for the by-elections just as it has always been prepared for all elections in the past. There are no outstanding challenges as such, save for the Commission's normal daily routine," said Manyau.
"About 45 percent of the (initial) budgeted amount has been made available and Zec hopes to receive the remainder any time from now.
" Zec submitted its request amounting to approximately US$6 million for the June 10 by-elections to Treasury. The funds have started to be released, with the first batch being for the Nomination Courts that sat on the 16th of April, 2015."
The elections are due to take place in 16 constituencies and available data indicates this is the highest number of by-elections ever.
Dangamvura-Chikanga has the highest figures at 40 900 voters while Highfield West ranks lowest with 23 298.
ZEC spokesperson Justin Manyau said Treasury had so far released $2,7 million for the elections.
Government cut the poll budget from $6 million to $4 million.
"ZEC is prepared for the by-elections just as it has always been prepared for all elections in the past. There are no outstanding challenges as such, save for the Commission's normal daily routine," said Manyau.
"About 45 percent of the (initial) budgeted amount has been made available and Zec hopes to receive the remainder any time from now.
" Zec submitted its request amounting to approximately US$6 million for the June 10 by-elections to Treasury. The funds have started to be released, with the first batch being for the Nomination Courts that sat on the 16th of April, 2015."
Source - Byo24News