Latest News Editor's Choice


News / Local

Milton head, deputy finally transferred

by Vusumuzi Dube
25 Apr 2016 at 05:41hrs | Views
BELEAGUERED Milton High School head William Ncube and his deputy  Nosizi Muleya have been transferred with a mini handover-takeover ceremony being conducted by Government officials at the school on Wednesday.

Sunday News reported that officials from the Ministry of Primary and Secondary Education said the head has been transferred to Magwegwe High School swapping with  Similo Ncube who was heading the school. Muleya has been replaced by  Malusi Mazibuko who was the deputy head at Gifford High School. She was transferred to deputise at Ihlathi High School in Tshabalala.  Mazibuko was the caretaker head when the two were initially suspended.

 William Ncube and  Muleya were initially suspended in October last year after an audit exposed alleged financial rot at the school. They allegedly swindled the institution of more than

$10 000 and routinely flouted sound governance procedures.

Their disciplinary hearings were held on 18 January and due to the expiry of their three months suspension they had been back in office since 25 January pending the outcome of proceedings.

In the latest developments, a Sunday News crew observed a delegation from the Ministry of Primary and Secondary Education and the Civil Service Commission overseeing the handover-takeover. The crew were, however, barred from entering the school.

Primary and Secondary Education Ministry Permanent Secretary Dr Sylvia Utete-Masango without giving details confirmed the transfers.

"Our officers were in Bulawayo to effect the recommendations from the disciplinary hearings, contact the provincial education office for details," she said.

Contacted for comment, Bulawayo provincial education director Dan Moyo declined to comment saying this was an internal confidential matter.

"You people why don't you want to leave this issue alone. Some things are sensitive and confidential please just let it go," said Moyo.

Officials said the ministry which had earlier recommended that the two be demoted later felt that the two must just be transferred within the province.

According to a letter dated 23 October outlining the charges against Ncube and signed by the district education officer, Jane Ndebele, the ministry charged him with misconduct.

Ncube was accused of authorising the construction of a boom gate, guardroom and painting of a classroom at a total cost of $2 912 without holding finance committee meetings or following procurement procedures. He was also alleged to have authorised the installation of blinds and curtains at the school hall at a total cost of $3 245 without following procurement procedures.

He was also accused of sending an unreasonable number of people, seven, to collect a kombi in Beitbridge thereby unnecessarily prejudicing the school of $310. The school head was also accused of receiving management incentives of $350 after incentives had been banned.

Ncube was further alleged to have also asked for an interest free loan of $2 150 from the SDA account for a chess competition in Durban in November 2014 and re-imbursed the money in February this year although terms and conditions for the loan were not spelt out.

The charge sheet shows that Ncube, in addition to the loan, also asked for an additional $300 pocket money and $73 for health insurance from the same account to do Nash business which was an unfair charge to the school.

Charges against his deputy Muleya were not clear but sources said she was suspended by  Ncube prior to receiving his own suspension letter from the ministry.

Source - Sunday News
More on: #Milton, #Head