Latest News Editor's Choice

News / National

Five year old triplets burnt beyond recognition

by Staff reporter
24 Sep 2011 at 07:24hrs | Views
A Chipinge family on Monday lost there five-year-old triplets when a house they were sleeping in caught fire and they were burnt beyond recognition, The herald reported on Saturday.

The triplets had been left under the care of their brother and sister, who are also minors, when the mother followed her husband to South Africa.
The incident occurred at Chindunduma Village, Chipinge, at around 11pm.

Manicaland provincial police spokesperson Inspector Leonard Chabata said Rumbidzai, Tatenda and Tendai Mukwena were left in the custody of their brother Kudakwashe (12) and sister Memory (10).
"On the fateful day, the five retired to bed at around 2300hrs and forgot to put off the candle," he said.

"While asleep, the candle, which was near the blankets, caused the fire."
Kudakwashe sustained burns on the left leg while Memory managed to escape and alert neighbours.

But when the neighbours arrived, the triplets had been burnt beyond recognition.
The neighbours managed to put out the fire and a report was made to the police.

Kudakwashe was taken to Chibuwe Clinic for treatment.

Police have been urging members of the public not to leave children alone because accidents could occur in their absence or they might be abused.
Insp Chabata said people should make sure that they put off candles when going to sleep.

Source - TH